Windows 10 - Download Failed - Network Error

Description of the issue:
I am on Windows 10 and started using Brave. Initially I had a few downloads fail and simply clicked ‘Resume’ one or more times and it worked.
Now all downloads fail: ‘Failed - Network Error’, yet on all other browsers I have installed, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, downloads work fine.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Download any file on the web

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave is up to date
Version 1.18.70 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I have Bitdefender Total Security installed, but the log files don’t show anything in regards of restricted filed Downloads or anything else that would indicate a failed download caused by Bitdefender

I thought I finally found a great alternative as my daily web browser

having this issue too. What I tried is changing the downloads folder to c:/bravedownloads . but it didn’t help, I thought a plugin was causing it but I don’t have any plugins. This happens with chromium based browsers,

I am also having this issue. I have the latest version of Windows 10, 64-bit operating system. I get the message: “Failed to cache the downloaded installer. Error: 0x80070005.” I cannot download the browser at all.

Download should failed and consuming more than half of data to the particular file. And it shows network error. So, solve the problem right now.my download file in middle so solve the problem immediately

This is happening to me as well. Tried downloading Ubuntu ISO and it failed. Resumed it twice failed twice and can not resume it again. Tried other downloads from many sites all fail. Tried it in Edge and downloaded it with no problem.

1 Like

super f***** annoying. spent 12 hours scraping to find out the browser cant download anything. obviously the devs dont find it a priority if this issue existed since 2020. total waste of time. uninstalling

I also cannot download anything using Brave on Windows 10. I’m using windows security without 3rd party antivirus.

Edit: I tried clicking more information to get help and followed every link that was thrown on the way even the microsoft page. No luck there.

But just when I was about to give up, I noticed that with every download Brave prompted the file save dialogue – which isn’t really common with web browsers these days. So, I fiddled with the settings and found a toggle switch to Ask where to save each file before downloading, after unchecking that, lo and behold, downloads worked again.

Maybe you guys should try this.

Maybe @moderators should look into this further.

Sorry for the TLDR.

@emkf thanks for the information. Not sure why this would be happening when the Ask where to save [...] option is toggled “on”. Forwarding this information to the team and hope to get more information for you.

1 Like

The issue seems to be that brave can’t write anywhere except the user downloads folder.

I tested this by changing the default folder from Downloads to another folder. The problem reappeared.

Seems like a Windows permissions issue.

I solved this issue.

This is due to st-upid Windows Defender blocking Brave.

Anyway to unblock Brave go to Ransomware Protection > Allow an app through controlled folder access and add Brave to the list.