Windows 10 BSOD Code 0x18

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
Recently I opened up a new tab in the Brave browser and dragged it to a different monitor. Right after I did that I got surprised with a BSOD with the Error: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER 0x18.

Right after the crash I checked my Event Viewer and analyzed my MEMORY.DMP file in the program WinDbg. From this analyze I noticed that the problem occured from the process: “brave.exe”. I will have the analyzed data added at the “Additional Information” section.

This is the first time I have encountered this crash on this browser, but I thought that even though this might be a very rare issue, it’s still important to report.

IMPORTANT:
I can guarantee that I have not been able to reproduce the error directly after, but I will add to the reproduction section what I did exactly.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave.
  2. Open Youtube via a saved bookmark
  3. Search your youtube history for a video
  4. Open the searched video in a new tab by pressing “Middle Mouse Button”
  5. Do not pause the video
  6. Drag the tab to a secondary monitor
  7. BSOD with a noisy audio loop.

Expected result:
I expect the video to play normally on a secondary monitor. The PC shouldn’t blue screen.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.17.73 Chromium: 87.0.4280.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Here is my bugcheck analysis from WinDbg analyzing my MEMORY.DMP file:

•                    Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Object type of the object whose reference count is being lowered
Arg2: ffffe48f6aea8a20, Object whose reference count is being lowered
Arg3: 0000000000000002, Reserved
Arg4: fffffffffffff800, Reserved
The reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
Each time a driver uses a pointer to an object the driver calls a kernel routine
to increment the reference count of the object. When the driver is done with the
pointer the driver calls another kernel routine to decrement the reference count.
Drivers must match calls to the increment and decrement routines. This bugcheck
can occur because an object’s reference count goes to zero while there are still
open handles to the object, in which case the fourth parameter indicates the number
of opened handles. It may also occur when the object’s reference count drops below zero
whether or not there are open handles to the object, and in that case the fourth parameter
contains the actual value of the pointer references count.

Debugging Details:

BUGCHECK_CODE: 18

BUGCHECK_P1: 0

BUGCHECK_P2: ffffe48f6aea8a20

BUGCHECK_P3: 2

BUGCHECK_P4: fffffffffffff800

PROCESS_NAME: brave.exe

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!ObfDereferenceObjectWithTag+1b8c3b

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x18_CORRUPT_REF_COUNT_nt!ObfDereferenceObjectWithTag

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {fa6b3516-71cb-1e92-b987-b8bebd3458ac}