Window size and position still not remembered by Brave on closing

This is an issue that was reported in April & closed in June but remains a problem in October. Brave always opens at an arbitrary size & in the center of the screen. I’ve been installing Brave every 2-3 months to see if this has been resolved to no avail. I’ve done a complete uninstall of Brave & all related files/registry settings each time after trying it again (ioBit Uninstaller). Remembering window size & position on close has been a default behavior of all apps since at least 1990 and I can’t fathom how this is occurring. I would be using Brave as my daily driver if the window position issue wasn’t present - I love it in all other respects and it is by far the best browser at rendering pages correctly across the board. If there is something I’m missing I’d love to hear.

Win7 Pro, current release version of Brave D/L’d & tried just yesterday.

1 Like

I noticed this, too. I have two screens, Brave remembers on which screen it was running, but it doesn’t remember the exact position on that screen. On Windows 7. Full version info:
Brave: 0.23.105
V8: 6.8.275.24
rev: 9a46f8f5cb22a9daf2af21989aed25911aa6f839
Muon: 8.0.9
OS Release: 6.1.7601
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.84

Edit: I just tried again:

• placed the Brave window carefully at a certain position on the 2nd screen
  • closed Brave
  • opened Brave… Now it does remember its exact position.

I can’t rule out that the last time I saw this (the Brave window always jumped to the top of the screen) was before I let Brave create a completely new profile.

@Daiwa you said that you completely removed and reinstalled Brave. Including the profile? If you are not sure, you could rename your existing profile directory like described here, behind “Edit 1” (while Brave is not running!) and then start Brave again. It should behave as if you never used it before.
Does it remember its position then?

Thanks for the info, tlaloc77.

However, the profile folders you refer to (behind “Edit 1”) get deleted with each uninstall (using IObit Uninstall, anyway) and re-created with each install. They don’t currently exist on my system as Brave is presently uninstalled. The fixed window size & position are the same with each install. Can’'t find any residual files doing a C:\ search for ‘brave’ in Windows Explorer.

This problem must not affect too many people so not sure how much attention the devs are paying to it.

1 Like

This may be a Win7-specific issue. I just re-installed Brave on my Win10 Pro rig and the sizing/position issue is not present. I’m going to give it a run as daily driver on that rig for the next week & see what happens.

1 Like

I have similar problems - running multiple monitors off my laptop, Brave window will open somewhere off in space and I can’t get it to re-centre. I run Windows 10 Pro. Haven’t heard of any solutions to date, my bug report was back in March.

Guess it’s time to download the latest build and re-test.

This is an issue I raised earlier as well. It isn’t associated only with Windows. I’m running the latest version of macOSHighSierra on a desktop iMac and continue to have the same problem. One of the few remaining buggy annoyances in an otherwise excellent browser.

I’ve used Brave as my daily driver for a week now on my Win10 (work) rig and it’s been rock solid, handling all the functions & actions my workflow requires flawlessly, including handling PDF’s within the browser & web-based apps. It’s earned default browser status.

So the window size/position issue is either Windows 7 specific or unique to my specific Win7 rig.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.