Will Brave leak my machine information to Goolgle & sites?

Started using brave from the last 4 days, to avoid Google chrome.

Question1:
I know finding a MAC address is not legit and it can’t be done via the ISP, but as far as I read, there is a possibility to act chrome as a Browser & also a Spy software to know all the details of the machine and send it to google. Came to know that Brave also built on chrome browser,
will brave do the same data collection stuff to google?

Question 2:
Some people say, running a JavaScript on google sites can read MAC & other unique details even we are not using chrome. If that scripting is possible, will brave block those scripts or it will allow to collect my unique data.

Of course this question may be silly to some Geeks, but you won’t understand the fear of an Android developer whose 4 accounts was detected by Google and terminated. They flagged almost all of my devices and I afraid they are literally everywhere I go

1 Like

Viable concern whether you run IOS, Android, or Windows. Many of us Installed Brave in order to avoid tracking, and Ads. Many ppl don’t like Ads, and definitely don’t want tracked.

Pardon @SpringAnne, could you please answer my exact question! I’m not afraid of Ads anymore, I afraid of Unique identifiable parameters.

Hi @i.rajeshh - I can answer your question on user perspective.

For Question 1:

• I know finding a MAC address is not legit, and it can’t be done via the ISP, but as far as I read, there is a possibility to act chrome as a Browser & also a Spy software to know all the details of the machine and send it to google.

There’s no way Brave Browser nor any mainstream browser can get your MAC Address. However, spy software can, but they don’t send it to Google, spyware are created for malicious purposes after all. It gets sent somewhere else.

If you get infected by spyware. Get an antivirus to remove it to your computer.

• Came to know that Brave also built on Chrome browser, will brave do the same data collection stuff to google?

No, Brave Browser is based on Chromium, which is an open source application. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge (the new one) is also based on it.

Each browser based on Chromium don’t send data to Google but to their own servers (Brave Browser = Brave, Microsoft Edge = Microsoft, Google Chrome = Google)

For Question 2;

• Some people say, running a JavaScript on Google sites can read MAC & other unique details even we are not using chrome. If that scripting is possible, will brave block those scripts, or it will allow to collect my unique data.

You’re reading on the wrong place. Google doesn’t ban based on your MAC Address. Google bans your registered Google account.

Blocking scripts however via Brave Browser could help against tracking, but it’s already overkill. Natively, Brave Browser blocks ads and trackers by default.

If you disabled JavaScript, it will break a lot of websites, and it’s a hassle to whitelist every website if you have script blocking enabled.

Windows (not sure about other OSes) in the first place, have randomized MAC Address functionality. So it’s not really a sure way to track someone.

1 Like

@A5A2239A Sick and tired of hiding myself from google bots.
Now I feel somewhat relaxed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.