Wikipedia link to Google Earth Pro doesn't work

Clicking the co-ordinate on any place opens a page offering access to a number of map viewers, including Google Earth, but this does not work with Google Earth Pro

This is a problem for any WP page. Here’s and example:

Clicking the co-ordinates in the top right corner brings up this page:

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Blenheim_Palace&params=51_50_31_N_01_21_41_W_region:GB
which generates a KML file and tries to pass it to Google Earth. This fails because your file extension->program translator wants to run
Google Earth (not installed here) instead of Google Earth Pro, which IS installed because its name is google-earth-pro not google-earth.
On every other browser I’ve been able to edit this table, but Brave doesn’t provide this ability. It should be part of Settings.

**Did the issue present with [default Shields settings]

No: Shields doesn’t appear to have anything to deal with the file extension: local application relationship. Other browsers, rather irrelevantly, call this a MIME relationship table.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
No

**Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
I don’t use Chrome. Both Firefox and Palemoon work as expected whe n using this feature.

Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.7.92 Chromium: 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Version 1.8.86 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)](https://brave.com/latest/) - still doesn’t let me change the name and/or pathname of the application needed to open files with an extension of .kml but the need to make this configurable had become more obvious since Google, with the release of Google Earth Pro 7.3.3.7673 (64-bit)
has changed where the application is installed: its now
/opt/google/earth/pro/googleearth instead of its old location, /usr/bin/google-earth-pro

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.