Widevine not working

Description of the issue: attempting to go to Spotify/Netflix i’m prompted with the dreaded missing widevine screen, even though it was working fine before(max 1 week ago), nothing has changed since then aside from 1 possible brave update…

Brave Version: Version 0.70.121 Chromium: 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information: windows 10 64bit home
chrome and edge work fine on the afflicted sites (reinstalling brave isn’t really an option…)

i tried clearing cache/history/cookies, clearing site data, running as admin, restarting client/computer multiple times, deleting the widevine folder to see if it’d prompt a fresh install… the puzzle icon doesn’t show, i attempted to try it on another profile and was prompted to install it, after allowing it, it disappeared then went back to the missing widevine screen… i had an issue a few weeks ago but it resumed after a day or so, where this has been down for a few days now…

widevine does not show up in chrome://components:

it is enabled in extensions:

@CanadaRoxxus,
If you toggle the Widevine option in your last image there Off/On (to be safe, you may want to toggle it Off, quit the browser, then relaunch and toggle On), can you see if you are prompted again to install/run Widevine and if allowing it sticks?

@Mattches
unfortunately this didn’t have any effect. :frowning:

@CanadaRoxxus,
Apologies for the late reply. I’ve reached out to some devs for further input on the issue. I appreciate your patience and will return as soon as I have more information.

I’m having the same problem. It’s not listed in plugins, and I’m not prompted to install it. Changing the toggle and restarting the browser has no effect.

@cynoclast,
Can you tell me what OS you’re using?

Windows 10 Pro.

I was able to fix it by uninstalling and removing (very unfortunately) my profile/history/password/etc data. Not to mention the character profile icons I’d grown to associate with my various profiles. Now I gotta retrain my muscle memory…

I’m guessing how old my base installation was (6 months or so?) plus running a bit set of windows updates not too long ago (that broke other programs) were factors.

As an aside: A feature to export saved passwords in addition to history would be nice. I assume my accumulated BAT wallets are toast too.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.