Why would people PAY publishers? This seems backwards?

Can someone explain why people would want to give away there hard earned money to advertisers? It just seems a little backwards to me.

If you’re talking about the way that Brave works, then i’m not sure if you have the right idea…

From my understanding on how Brave works is as goes.
You can block any and all ads, while also protecting yourself against fingerprinting and other tracking methods. You have the option of supplying your Brave wallet with funds (BAT). If you so decide that you want to support a creator by how much screen time you’re giving them. But, it’s completely optional.

They also have something that’s in the works at the moment that benefits the end user even more. Not sure if it’s allowed to be talked about publicly, so i’ll refrain from discussing it.

Hopefully this helps :slight_smile:

Do you pay to see a movie you are excited about? Do you buy an artist’s album off itunes (or pay for a subscription service, which also supports a band you like)? Content is what you come to the internet for and we of course need to monetize it for content creators or they would stop doing it. By taking out the advertising “middleman,” however, we can actually increase the percentage that a content creator receives and improve the internet experience which at present is pretty terrible.

The best answer to this is by example: There are hundreds of millions of dollars that flow through Twitch tips and Patreon donations every single year. People simply enjoy supporting their favorite content creators as a point of pride, but also as a way of materially ensuring that their creators will be able to produce more content.

That said, keep in mind that:

1. Users will earn BAT tokens for seeing advertisements (if they enable Brave Ads).
  2. Donating via Brave Payments is voluntary, and you can choose to donate nothing.
  3. BAT tokens earned through the Brave Ads system can be used to redeem services or transferred.

I strongly recommend taking a look at the BAT Introduction Post. It is the most comprehensive, non-technical explanation of BAT (and how it works with Brave) currently in existence: https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/7cr7yc/new_to_bat_read_this_introduction_to_basic/

KEY EXCERPTS:

The BAT token ($BAT) is an Ethereum-based ERC20 utility token, utilized as the unit of account within the wider BAT platform:

1. Advertisers will transact in $BAT to purchase advertising space and user attention;

2. Publishers and content creators will receive ad revenue and user contributions in $BAT;

3. Users will earn $BAT for their attention and engagement with any ads displayed to them (“ad revenue sharing”).

Users who opt into BAT Ads will see privately-matched advertisements for which they will receive a share of ad revenue in $BAT. Since ad matching and delivery is done entirely client-side with local machine learning algorithms on local data, BAT requires absolutely no user data collection or tracking, and can achieve superior ad targeting (see section: “What Makes BAT Different?”).

There are two kinds of advertisements in the BAT Ads system:

• USER ADS: User ads are delivered directly to the user in a separate ad tab rather than on publisher content at specific moments in the user’s browsing experience. User ads can take the form of rich push notifications, full-page HTML5 content, video, landing pages and more. Users will earn 70% of ad revenue for user ads.

• PUBLISHER ADS: Publisher ads are viewed by the user on publisher content, such as an interstitial banner advertisement on a publisher’s webpage. Publishers will earn 70% of ad revenue, and users 15%, for publisher ads.

Brave Payments is a program that allows users to support their favorite publishers and content creators with monthly $BAT contributions. By default, Brave Payments divides monthly contributions among websites and channels based on time spent viewing content. Users can also “pin” specific amounts to their favorite websites and creators (publishers), much like Patreon. $BAT contributions to publishers who have not yet verified with the platform will be stored in a wallet that can be claimed upon verification.

At present, users who enable Brave Payments in their Brave browsers will generate a unidirectional, in-browser $BAT wallet with multiple funding options (e.g., BAT, BTC, LTC, ETH, etc.). Future updates will include a multi-directional wallet upgrade that will allow users to transfer $BAT—such as $BAT earned from the BAT Ads program—out of the wallet.

$BAT can be used with Brave Payments to support your favorite publishers and content creators on the web. We also envision $BAT being used to redeem premium content, digital goods, subscriptions, and progressively becoming a frequent flyer token for browsing with rewards and various perks. For example, we aim to build a marketplace among our verified partners where the benefit will be from using BAT. We may also offer different options to convert $BAT to gift cards, discounted subscriptions for content and so on.

Subscription-based paid content is just one tactic in a comprehensive business strategy. Unfortunately, too many publishers don’t see it as a tactic; they view it as the strategy.

Pivoting to subscriptions is a move born, not out of consideration for target audiences, but purely out of desperation and a compulsion to self-medicate with whatever prescription worked for the leader.

Everyone knows that self-medicating is a danger to one’s personal health and the same is true in business. Tactics that work for NYT, WSJ, FT, and WP (no need to spell them out) may, in fact often, do more harm than good for the rest of the industry.

https://cleanmaster.me/ https://facebooklite.vip/ https://mathway.vip/

I’m a little confused…

This is where you lost me; Users will receive 70% of ad revenue for user ads, and an additional 15% for publisher ads.

What is the difference here?

In-depth | What are are the details, that seperates user ads and publisher ads?

(Surface level clarification)
A publisher ad will appear in the site/domain of the verified publisher itself. More or less the same way you’d expect an ad to appear. Users receive 15% of revenue share accrued.

A User ad would appear in-browser (eg, when a new private tab is opened, for example) for the user to view. Users receive 70% of the revenue share accrued in this way.

Does this make sense?

Indeed.

So us the users will actually be able to make our own ads, and display them in the “new tab” section?

Further clarification:
User Ads do not refer to ads the user themselves create. It just specifies the catalog in which the ad is pulled from and where the ad will appear. User Ads will be ads that have been vetted/approved by Brave to be run in-browser.

User Ads = In browser and visible to you (the user).
Publisher Ads = Ads on verified publishers web page, visible to anyone who visits/engages in the publishers domain.

Does this help clarify?

@Mattches

Basically, thank you.

I was asking lots of questions, so thanks for taking that time out of your day.
I run my own website, so I’m motivated to join :slight_smile:

My pleasure to help out! :slight_smile:
Please do! And don’t ever hesitate to ask questions or to have something clarified here! All Brave team members are happy to assist you.