Why we need Uphold?

brave need autification on finger scan, one finger one brave user this help brave remove bots users or no true users. but n0w brave with help uph0ld want save self and make minmal bots which no good for this system. i think so. i no like uphold, but better way i dont know for save brave of bots.

2 Likes

Uphold is a red flag on the long term. For now I am tolerant since I like the business model of Brave and understand that there are growing pains. But on the long term it should be possible to use my own wallet instead of Uphold. But, in earlier topics the team replied they are working on a solution for that. Hope it will be available soon.

8 Likes

Hi, i think that’s the main pain point in brave. I wanted to add a channel and then realized, that there’s no way (?) to pay out to another crypto exchange or wallet.

I can’t (legally*) and don’t want to (trust) register at uphold. And it fundamentally breaks the idea and promises by brave, imho.

• legally: it’s against the law in some European countries to transfer data to US-KYC. So in Europe for many the situation is: break the law to transfer data to a non-trustworthy entity in the US which is technically and by principle (decentralization, anonymity) unnecessary. As long as brave doesn’t improve and stick to its promises here, i don’t see a future at the bright side of force.
7 Likes

Its just that i don’t feel “secure” to share my phone number or id. And i want to be clear that i don’t have any problem with brave at all. Its just a thought.

3 Likes

Agreed. They’ve become more invasive this past year and started asking for old records from some users. There needs to be a solution that is more in line with Brave’s espoused values.

3 Likes

One potential issue is that funds would live on your machine. If brave/BAT is going to be adopted by non-techies, it needs to be user-friendly. Losing all your money because your computer died is about as far from user-friendly as you can get. People will not adopt a system where they have to learn to make secure redundant backups and manage secrets.

I think it’d be great to have rewards fully in Brave, but I don’t know how they could solve those problems without a centralized service.

2 Likes

Similar topics:

Have you lot heard of this protocol called Lightning Network (LND)? https://lightning.engineering/

I was curious could Brave do anything with this and could it possibly replace Uphold?

Here’s one of the founders speaking about it -

3 Likes

@Mattches without a doubt senior members are aware of LND but do you reckon a statement of this can be made pertaining specifically to Brave-Rewards and Brave-Wallet on the official brave.com-blog?

I try to avoid creating topics willy-nilly in the community and initially considered creating one regarding the Lightning Network, do you think there’s any point or should I just leave it at the last comment before this and after this?

1 Like

@Numpty,
I think there’s always good cause to encourage or facilitate good discussions. You may want to tag @chriscat – he has a lot to say about the crypto space.

1 Like

Hi, I totally agree. I’m in UK and have just gone through the whole verification process with Uphold, sending 2 sets of identification only now for them to permanently close my Uphold account with no explanation. Tried to ask them why and received this:

We understand the confusion in regards to the decision of your verification status. However, we have no further information available to provide you, as our decisions are solely based on the findings of the verification system and we have strict guidelines which must adhere to this recommendation. This decision is final and cannot be overridden. We greatly appreciate your cooperation and understanding of our position and wish you the best.

Now i’m seething and feel like just jacking in Brave completely as it’s been nothing but hassle and all the promises appear to have just been lies…

1 Like

Totally agree with that. Uphold can be an option, not should not be the only option. Brave Payments should allow users to input a address and simply transfer fund to that address.

2 Likes

Totally agree with that. Uphold can be an option, not should not be the only option. Brave Payments should allow users to input a address and simply transfer fund to that address.

Exactly this: https://brave.com/brave-civic-partnership/

3 Likes

Brave and Civic are both great projects in crypto space. It’s super that there is a partnership. What is the outlook for real working solutions from this partnership?

1 Like

No, it’s exactly not that.
Civic is a KYC service. This thread is about crypto wallets and exchanges. And the fact, that brave claims to be a privacy respecting browser. Which doesn’t really go well together with surveillance services like civic.

3 Likes

I don’t see the point to have such a revolutionary project as brave ads and rewards, based on crypto and blockchain, only to end up having to go through such a hassles and verifications, with an entity I personally never heard of, and give them some of the most precious data regarding myself (aka passport number, picture and address). I mean, Brave is supposed about privacy, but the whole concept is just ruined by this. “Centralized ripping people off middle men” entities does not match my vision of the future we are promised. The whole point of crypto is to get rid of these guys.

3 Likes

We need Uphold wallet to get the reward and verificate your person!

1 Like

Hi @Bloody1221 ,

I really recommend https://pillarproject.io/ as an alternative to Uphold, it have a huge potential and includes the wallet & identity parts and completely open source.

There are many aspects violated in Uphold that Brave provides, in Uphold if you receive a payment you can’t send it out before it’s 24 hours on their system (they say for security reasons), the higher fees on transactions and all the mentioned privacy concerns…

2 Likes

I’m also not very happy with this solution.

I wouldn’t mind identify myself against a finance institute or company in my country (or EU). As long as it does not require me to send a copy of my ID, there are better ways.

Through I would argue if this would be required (by law) for transaction of small amount of money.

However when I readed in the terms that Uphold requires me to send an copy of my ID, I stoped reading and exited the account verification process.

I’ll hope in the future there will be other (non US) marketplaces to buy or sell BAT’s and that the reward system also integrates in those. Almost everything else seems promising.

3 Likes

I’m totally agreed with privacy thing. And honestly brave should consider another wallets. I have channel on YouTube not alot of followers and defenetly not all of them using brave only few so in order to withdraw funds from uphold I need to wait few months to do it otherwise I’m will only have few cents in months. Fees at uphold astronomical for me any way. I hope brave will do something with wallet issue if not: count me out of brave community.

2 Likes

I am uncomfortable with Uphold. I don’t know them. They ask for an extraordinary amount of personal information and original identity documents that could be used for a disastrous amount identity theft. Combined with what Brave knows about browsing history, this could be a recipe for disaster.

For the paltry amounts that I would collect from Brave, it isn’t worth the risk. I’m can live with this as long as I can assign my BAT to websites that I frequent without using uphold. I’d rather they have the money than I do. But if that were not the case, it destroys most of the reason for using Brave in the first place and I would switch browsers in a heartbeat.

1 Like