Why not a Menu Bar?

I agree, I’m sick of this “let’s make everything take ten times longer just to ‘declutter’ things” mentality.

I’ve stuck with the old version that still had a proper menu bar specifically because I actively dislike needing to search things down in a burger menu!

I literally have a computer so I can avoid the damn things, don’t use chrome because of their insistence on burger menus, hopped ship from firefox because they burgered-up for a while there, and now I’m considering going back to firefox because now someone’s shoving a burger menu in my face with this browser!

6 Likes

WHY does everyone keep hiding and/or deleting menu bars, pisses me off. There used to be an option to turn it on, bring it back please, if you dont want it dont activate it…

7 Likes

This.

The lack of a proper menu bar and the forced use of a crappy, mobile-like burger menu is the single thing keeping me from migrating to Brave as my primary browser.

Just bring it back, toggle-able as an option in the settings ffs.

7 Likes

I want a menu bar, a status bar, vertical bars and a vertical tabs above all.

6 Likes

New user/member here. Brave browser works great for me so far.

I mentioned brave for a friend and he actually took the trouble to download. However he complained about the lacking menu bar and concluded brave is not for him.

I tried to lure him with the hamburger but that didn’t help.

5 Likes

Unsurprising. Good to see others feel the same.

Rather than stuck in our ways, this is more so that the menu needs to be suited to the user’s device. Burger menus objectively take more clicks to reach the desired option. When performing many operations (accessing multiple favourites, or editing properties of a favourite), what would normally be just two clicks, becomes many more. This increases frustration, especially something like this where you have to open the menu each time.

Burger menus are suited for mobile devices, PC users will want a traditional menu. If it is an option in the settings, you please everyone.

6 Likes

Like many others right now I’m a new convert to brave too. So far this is my biggest issue with the move so far, really miss having that convenient bar with 1 click access to bookmarks, history, site saving, and all that other good stuff. I understand Brave is essentially a chromium mod and it was chrome that removed it, but dev’ing this feature back in would be a valued effort for a lot of us.

6 Likes

I use DisplayFusion which places window function icons on the top bar of every window. These icons interfere with tabs and vice versa. The menu bar is the only way to facilitate these icons.
I simply cannot use Brave at all without a menu bar, period. My previous version of Brave allowed the menu bar and I see no reason not to continue providing this option. I now have to find another browser to ween me off of Firefox since I cannot use this one, and I’m not going to check every day for an update. It’s a shame - I really wanted this browser to work as a thumb in the eye of Mozilla. ah well…

6 Likes

I do hope they take notice. Seems it’s certainly not just me who’s bothered about this.

I understand it’s running on Chrome and that’s what Chrome does, but people want Brave to essentially BE it’s own browser (interface wise). If all it’s going to be is a Chrome clone, people would just use Chrome.

Give us a setting, then everyone’s happy.

8 Likes

I dislike hamburgers, and much prefer to browse a full service menu. :wink:

PLEASE bring back the optional Menu bar.
Meanwhile, I’ll keep using Firefox (with Menu bar enabled and uBlock Origin installed).

6 Likes

I created an account specifically so I could reply/add my response. I dislike the new ChromeBrave. If I wanted a chrome layout I’d use Chrome. I like the menubar at the top (like EVERY other desktop application I’ve used for 2+ decades), the addressbar below that, and tabs below that. Rearrangeable for people who like to swap their tabs and addressbar around, but I prefer mine in that order.

On top of that, I noticed the settings menu feels significantly less customizable. I have something like 5 browsers I’ve been playing around with, and so far I like the sheer amount of customization of Vivaldi. I’ll probably swap to something like that once Brave Muon gets killed.

The little menu widget is fine for phones with small screens, but desktop programs shouldn’t be penalized too.

9 Likes

Hamburger doesn’t even animate… boring. Just kidding it’s not that bad, once you get used to no menu it’s like whatevs…

downside is it does seem to add some clicks (motion) to some tasks, clearing cache is a pita to navigate to… make it a button (option) on the menu, 1click easy money.

I’d like to be able to rearrange my back/forward/refresh… I always refresh on right of url… this is not fun to go cleeeeeear left for a refresh and no i don’t want to reach for keys.

Please make option for normal menu sans hamburger, or reactive to screen size so > (nPixel) full menu thanks!

5 Likes

I was using the old version of Brave for this exact reason. Now that we are practically forced to use the ‘new’ version, in what is the least “brave” thing to do from the developers (I mean wasn’t the whole point of switching to Brave to not be dictated to as to what version / options / addons you use?) who are taking a page out of Microsoft’s book with this.

I’m now at a loss as to whether I should continue using Brave, or once again look for an alternative - like I did with Chrome etc. Not just because it’s “only a menu bar”, but deliberately taking options and features away from software, then FORCING the users to “upgrade”, is what Brave’s competition did that pissed people off enough to get them to switch. This is exactly how it started with literally every other mega corp, this is exactly what Microsoft is doing now - WHY are devs so hell bent on shafting their users?

TLDR: Please can we have our menu bar back?

5 Likes

It took me a while to figure out what all the hoopla was about. Until someone mentioned Windows.

I’m on a Mac which has a system wide menu at the top of the screen. So Brave windows have no menu bar, but the Brave menu bar is ever present at the top. And I use it. A lot.

Just imagining having NO MENU BAR would drive me bonkers. You all have my vote, if it counts!

8 Likes

Both having a dedicated menu bar and not having it have merits. I’m happy either way as long as we have a toggle option to personalize how we’d like to have it for ourselves.

7 Likes

Yup! That’s all we’re asking for.

Making it a togglable setting means ALL users are catered for.

I really, really dislike this attitude that Microsoft / Google and co have nowadays. “We’ve made it like this because it’s AWESOME, and you HAVE to like it and use it how WE tell you, (because it boosts our stats that say everyone loves it).”

It’s ME using the f****** browser all day, not a Microsoft employee sat at my desk. Let the user customise it to benefit their own experience, then everyone is happy.

8 Likes

I was a bit confused at this too. On KDE I too have a global menubar enabled (similar to how macOS does it) and it’s working fine.

4 Likes

Menu bar? Yes, please! :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

6 Likes

I just came from FireFox because they blocked all my plugins.

No menu bar? Seriously… this is a basically usability issue. Those Android style combo boxes are horrible UI elements. They make simple tasks take far far far longer. Bring back the menu bar!

6 Likes

Did this get fixed? I use DESKTOP/LAPTOP and was so annoyed with NEWBrave’s not having the TOP MENU (File - Edit - View…) that I uninstalled NEWBrave and went back to OLDBrave… Now I get a WARNING(!!!) that I can only use OLDBrave for nine more days… So, will it disappear? Well, if NEWBrave has not been fixed, AIN’T GONNA USE IT. Has the TOP MENU (File - Edit - View…) been restored?

6 Likes