Why not a Menu Bar?

While a menu button is an elegant solution to the tiny screens found on smartphones, I do think the menu bar has it’s merits.

I find it more convenient and well worth the space on a laptop, even though it would be a duplication of the functions of a menu button.

Thank you for your consideration.

33 Likes

PLEASE give me an option for a menu bar.

17 Likes

Yes, absolutely agree. WE NEED A MENU BAR.

PLEASE do not assume that Brave users are hipster techno-wizard minimalists who never want to see File, Edit, Bookmarks, etc.

Remember Windows 10 and the removal of the “Start button.”

19 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/H3EK7x6.jpg

Would love to see the Menu Bar option back for Desktop. Is this possible?

I’m currently Using Version 0.58.18 Chromium.

9 Likes

I agree with you, that’s ONE of the reasons I’ve chosen to stick with Muon. Another reason is that starting Tor with the new version immediately triggers my company’s snoop ware, whereas Muon does not.

6 Likes

PLEASE give a menu bar.

I’m not on a f***ing smartphone, I don’t want to use a **** burger menu. Why do all hipster devs nowadays presume literally everyone is browsing on a phone or tablet?

It literally takes more clicks and movements to get to my bookmarks, history etc.

Literally EVERY other application I use on my machine has File, Edit, etc in the top left. It’s a good standard and allows quick & easy navigation. I don’t mind whether it’s above or below the tabs, as long as the menu actually exists.

This is the #1 feature I hope will be brought back in the new version, otherwise it’s absolutely going to put me off using it.

Make a toggle switch in the settings for those who don’t like it, or are actually browsing on mobiles.

15 Likes

I added shortcuts to boomarks bar. I can live with that.
An optional menu bar would be nicer though.

brave://history/

brave://settings/clearBrowserData …etc
Shortcuts - 0.58.18 Chromium

10 Likes

I guess I can can either get use no menu bar or return the old version of brave or might even considering returning to the old reliable Firefox. They should also consider our request for the menu bar which helps us older ones because there is enough change already to keep up with.

10 Likes

I’d like to throw my vote in for restoring a menu bar.

Thanks.

10 Likes

I’ve now completely stopped using the new Brave. The UI, and no menu bar just pisses me off.

Why the heck would I want my bookmarks menu opening up halfway down the page, and at the right side of the screen? Also having to click through the burger menu each time crinkles my brain. I’M NOT USING A PHONE! Give me a PC interface!

PLEASE give us a proper menu bar with the normal functions. The bookmarks bar does not suffice. I’m actively using the old brave for now and will even go back to IE once that stops working, if there’s no menu bar in new brave.

11 Likes

I just loaded Brave for the first time and worked on configuring it. Whatever I do, wherever I look, there’s no way to display a FILE menu. This is total crud.

You’re saying that the File Menu was in some previous version of Brave. Do you (or anyone) know what that version was?
Does Brave offer downloads of older versions?

BTW - my install of FireFox is 54.0.1 and locked down. It does not update. I love it.
Mozilla permits users to download any older version. What about Brave?

7 Likes

I agree, I’m sick of this “let’s make everything take ten times longer just to ‘declutter’ things” mentality.

I’ve stuck with the old version that still had a proper menu bar specifically because I actively dislike needing to search things down in a burger menu!

I literally have a computer so I can avoid the damn things, don’t use chrome because of their insistence on burger menus, hopped ship from firefox because they burgered-up for a while there, and now I’m considering going back to firefox because now someone’s shoving a burger menu in my face with this browser!

6 Likes

WHY does everyone keep hiding and/or deleting menu bars, pisses me off. There used to be an option to turn it on, bring it back please, if you dont want it dont activate it…

7 Likes

This.

The lack of a proper menu bar and the forced use of a crappy, mobile-like burger menu is the single thing keeping me from migrating to Brave as my primary browser.

Just bring it back, toggle-able as an option in the settings ffs.

7 Likes

I want a menu bar, a status bar, vertical bars and a vertical tabs above all.

6 Likes

New user/member here. Brave browser works great for me so far.

I mentioned brave for a friend and he actually took the trouble to download. However he complained about the lacking menu bar and concluded brave is not for him.

I tried to lure him with the hamburger but that didn’t help.

5 Likes

Unsurprising. Good to see others feel the same.

Rather than stuck in our ways, this is more so that the menu needs to be suited to the user’s device. Burger menus objectively take more clicks to reach the desired option. When performing many operations (accessing multiple favourites, or editing properties of a favourite), what would normally be just two clicks, becomes many more. This increases frustration, especially something like this where you have to open the menu each time.

Burger menus are suited for mobile devices, PC users will want a traditional menu. If it is an option in the settings, you please everyone.

6 Likes

Like many others right now I’m a new convert to brave too. So far this is my biggest issue with the move so far, really miss having that convenient bar with 1 click access to bookmarks, history, site saving, and all that other good stuff. I understand Brave is essentially a chromium mod and it was chrome that removed it, but dev’ing this feature back in would be a valued effort for a lot of us.

6 Likes

I use DisplayFusion which places window function icons on the top bar of every window. These icons interfere with tabs and vice versa. The menu bar is the only way to facilitate these icons.
I simply cannot use Brave at all without a menu bar, period. My previous version of Brave allowed the menu bar and I see no reason not to continue providing this option. I now have to find another browser to ween me off of Firefox since I cannot use this one, and I’m not going to check every day for an update. It’s a shame - I really wanted this browser to work as a thumb in the eye of Mozilla. ah well…

6 Likes

I do hope they take notice. Seems it’s certainly not just me who’s bothered about this.

I understand it’s running on Chrome and that’s what Chrome does, but people want Brave to essentially BE it’s own browser (interface wise). If all it’s going to be is a Chrome clone, people would just use Chrome.

Give us a setting, then everyone’s happy.

8 Likes