Why is the version of Brave on my laptop different than the version on my desktop?

Can anyone explain why the version of Brave on my HP laptop is a different version than the version of Brave on my Generic Desktop?

Both my laptop and my desktop are Windows 10 version 1903. Both installs of Windows 10 are 64-bit and the only difference is that my laptop is the home edition and my desktop is the pro version… Note also that both my desktop and laptop are current on all updates and patches.

I use my desktop about 90% of the time and I’ve made tweaks to the settings on my desktop to make Brave function the way I want it to. Today I had my laptop up and running and I decided to make the Brave settings on my laptop the same as those on the desktop and when I went into settings I noticed that the menus were different between the two. I then checked the versions of Brave on each platform and noted that on my laptop it says:

Version 0.64.76 Chromium 74.0.3729.157 Official Build 64-bit

When I checked the version of Brave on my desktop it says:

Version 0.69.132 Chromium 77.0.3865.90 Official Build 64-Bit

From the two version numbers it appears that Brave on my laptop is an older version but each time I select “About Brave” on my laptop it comes back and tells me that Brave is up to date.

Note that after I started this thread I downloaded a fresh copy of Brave on my laptop and installed it over the existing version and now the version of Brave on my laptop matches the version of Brave on my desktop… So my question for those more knowledgeable than myself… What was up with the previous version of Brave on my laptop and why did it keep telling me that the old version was up to date? Shouldn’t Brave automatically update itself when a new version is available?

Any help will be appreciated…

Thanks.

i am having the same issue. today I noticed that my brave browser at work has much more tabs like “wallets” for example. at home I do not have these tabs and settings. so i just checked the version number. my pc at home also stucked at Version 0.64.76 while saying it is up to date.

Hi @Moondoggy,

Sometimes there’s something wrong with the server or the bits get stuck, which is likely why you received the messaged that ‘Brave is up to date.’ The fresh install like you did circumvented this.

You can always check out Brave.com/latest for the newest available version.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the info Steeven. I’ve bookmarked the link in your reply for future reference as I was unaware that Brave would provide false information regarding the status of a release. It was fortunate for me that I had my laptop and desktop sitting next to each other and could see the difference as most people wouldn’t be able to detect the discrepancy while performing work on one machine…

1 Like