Why is Brave Showing my Location!

Does Brave protect your privacy? That’s the question that I have been looking for answers lately:

With Brave I have found out that it reveals my location to websites and other services which they use to determine which version of a website I need to access. Brave browser allows websites to gauge which country you’re accessing the internet in, and as such you’ll see search results from your local current geographical location which is not to my liking?

However, at the end of it all, there is a massive vulnerability of Brave that searches are leaked to local base regardless of your actions even after quitting Brave. Does Brave have an Inbuilt VPN service to protect data and privacy?

How come most chrome based extensions like Ghostery aren’t compatible with Brave, when do we expect to have this extensions?

Windows 10 64bit

Brave: 0.17.14
rev: a8631c63b8cf96aa5fd5ca418a69e3f22f5f185e
Muon: 4.1.8
libchromiumcontent: 59.0.3071.115
V8: 5.9.211.38
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
os.platform: win32
os.release: 10.0.14393
os.arch: x64

Some(most) sites serve content based on request from the incoming IP. Brave has no control over IP masking. You will need a VPN to mask your IP address to a desired location to get the content specific to that region.

Currently there is no VPN based extensions available in Brave, but some are requested and you can check the thread here and your comments to the thread.

Chrome extensions are being added checking for comptaibility with Brave architecure and we have quite a lot of extensions in pipeline. You can check the requested and in-work extensions here

Hope this helps

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.