Why is Brave remembering my searches?

Brave seems to be remembering what I search for even though I have set my preferences to delete everything (cookies, history, etc.) when I close the browser. Example: A couple of days ago I searched for “Farmers Insurance” using DuckDuckGo. I made the same search again today and noticed that the link I clicked on before is now a different color than the rest of the search results. I tried the same search in google (I never use google!) and found that the same link in google also had a different color.

How can I get Brave to stop remembering my searches?

Privacy feedback: why I dropped Brave

Brave also ignores all Private Data settings and remembers everything from passwords to cookies to history to autofill, everything. Incredibly, Brave is also remembering my printer settings that I temporarily save via browser cookie: I have two printers and Brave remembers which ones I use for different tasks! When I shut down the computer and power back up, these cookies are STILL THERE!

Brave is keeping a close watch on everything we do and is recording it. I made Brave support aware of this issue previously, and they did nothing, which means this is what they want and it’s being done on purpose. I can no longer use Brave.

Also, ads began showing up a few days ago.

This is worrying. I am experiencing the same behaviour.

Can one of the developers comment on this, please?

@alex?

@fatboy @Anonymous @braveguy please make sure you are really quitting Brave not just closing the window

Example video and proof that Brave clears your data https://youtu.be/EGJrMmzFZyg

Duckduckgo may have first party ads in results. Some of you may be confused about the difference between first and third party ads.

See also question 4 : https://brave.com/FAQ.html

Hi Alex,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I believe you about that it clears one’s history etc. The one thing the person in the video doesn’t do is clicking on one of the links in your search results before clearing the data, closing & opening Brave.
I have tried now a few times and it seems that somehow, something is remembering the fact that I click on a link, even after manually cleaning all my browsing data, followed by a close and open.

Are you saying that DDG remembers my browsing history somehow?

Brave: 0.17.3 
rev: 02a7878a949f51faf51be02ce06aeaefbf367b93 
Muon: 4.0.3 
libchromiumcontent: 59.0.3071.86 
V8: 5.9.211.31 
Node.js: 7.9.0 
Update Channel: dev 
os.platform: linux 
os.release: 4.9.31-1-MANJARO 
os.arch: x64

@fatboy thanks for the clarification. that’ll be fixed on our near roadmap : https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9351

Nice video. But it completely ignores my statement in this thread and the one I linked to, in which I made clear that even after rebooting my computer, I discover I’m still logged into ebay and some accounts that I use to order inventory for my business.

Just in case you guys missed that when you were skimming the text: REBOOTING THE COMPUTER doesn’t quit Brave. This is unbelievable.

And why is it just now that we are finding out that there is this “Quit brave” option that you have to manually click on? It is expected that when I close all Brave browser windows, I AM quitting Brave.

Epic! Thank you so much!

Yep, Brave remembers all my clicked links. The ones I clicked on a few days ago after several COMPUTER REBOOTS are still purpled. Amazing! Brave is the super duper spy Browser.

“Duckduckgo may have first party ads in results. Some of you may be confused about the difference between first and third party ads.”

Apparently, advertisers have learned the way you classify ads and have recoded and reworked their ads to game your system.

@Anonymous as stated, will be fixed in the near roadmap. thanks to @fatboy for clearing up my misread there on the links.

I can post another video that proves that rebooting a computer does indeed quit Brave. Sorry you’re just discovering that you need to quit an app to ya know, quit it. But it’s always been that way.

And no, they haven’t recoded and reworked anything. The issue with ads wasn’t that they exist, but rather that they track you and take your attention without remuneration. But this is getting off topic.

The topic of this thread was related to ‘remembering searches’ which Brave doesn’t.

The real issue was that visited links weren’t being cleared, and they will soon.

With that knowledge this thread is concluded. @Anonymous if you have more to say, feel free to DM me. :slight_smile: