Why do Microsoft and Facebook detect 'new login from Chrome'?

Description of the issue:

Today, Microsoft and Meta-facebook “detected” my usual brave logins as “new login on Chrome” - why???

Exact URL of the website in question:
outlook.com; facebook.com
Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
no
Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
yes
Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
no
Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
I don’t use Chrome!
Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.59.120 Chromium: 118.0.5993.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Is Brave really just Chrome in disguise?

Because Brave uses Chrome user-agent, like any other browser should.
Brave tried to have their own Brave UA, but it was breaking the web too much, so they went with Chrome UA which will be less fingerprinting, since more million users use it.

Ok, but is that recent? like days ago recent? Why suddenly today, MS & FB detected “Chrome on Windows” when it’s ALWAYS been with Brave? why did it suddenly today, get detected?

No, it has always said Chrome, the Brave UA was never really done by anyone, no page can know you are using Brave, unless they use a Brave API Brave added to Brave (nice wording, I know) to find out if you are using other than Chrome.

That API is the reason that many websites block Brave, so it has to be be fixed by the Adblocker.

But for example go to https://www.whatismybrowser.com/ you will see it says Brave and Chrome.

go to brave://adblock and add this as custom filter whatismybrowser.com##+js(brave-fix) and you will see the Brave disappears.

So besides that little Brave API, nobody can know if you are using Brave, sites usually see the UA anyway, like in this case ( and that’s one reason why Chrome ,Markershare probably is higher than it should be.)

Also, now it is even harder to tell the difference, as a fingerprinting solution, Chromium reduced the UA, now it only shows the Major versions, so you blend more with other million ‘Chrome’ users.

In Nightly for example it says:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/119.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Chrome/119.0.0.0 in he past it would be like Chrome/119.0.6045.33.

So it is not new, when Brave tried the Brave UA, it was like years ago, until they were forced to go Chrome UA, since too many websites broke for having the ‘unknown UA’.

Not much to do, unless you use Scriptlet injections to replace-text-node and then pretend it says Brave lol.

Are you sure it always said Brave? because I doubt it, I have always seen Chrome in any place, like Outlook and any website that has a registry of logged devices, even Slack sent me an email today saying ‘Chrome’.

It never said anything, or if it did, yes probably said Chrome, only I didn’t think anything of it. My question is WHY TODAY, it decided it was a “NEW LOGIN FROM CHROME ON WINDOWS”?? What changed? or what triggers “new location” warnings when I did not change anything?
It just befuddles me that it should suddenly start saying “oh, yr on Chrome… THAT’S unusual!”
«SHRUGS» but that’s ok, I get your point and I am cleared on the matter.
Thank you for your info and patience.

Well usually only IP and a new device triggers it, like the ID of the device doesn’t match what you previously used, like Slack sending me an email for being the first time I log in with this device.
Maybe it used Mobile data, instead of WIFI? since you mentioned many websites gave the same error, it could be a reason. They are being cautious about some random IP connecting.

In the end, as long as you check the IP and matches, then it was just the system being weird.

It says it was a new login, that means the previous one was removed. When was the last time you used Facebook? some cookies get removed after just 7 days.

Facebook is just weird so I never used it again. People could use my email to create their accounts, but if I used a fake name (because of stalkers) I got my account locked, that’s how garbage Facebook is lol

I use it EVERYDAY - it just decided today that it was a “new login” - it WASN’T, as far as I’m concerned - it’s just the system being weird, like you say.
Thank you!

I reported it as a phishing attack since I don’t think this sender address is legit anyway:

[email protected]

Whatever…

Thank you!

it may be a phishing attempt, the domain [facebookmail.com] seems … phishy!

Well, you should check if the IP matches yours, check it and make sure it was you though, better spend 5 minutes checking that, than being sorry.
You never know if someone near you tried to login, so make sure.

nope, seems legit - «shrugs»

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.