White Youtube video overlay makes buttons unreadable when hovering the playback keys/buttons in brave beta

Hi,
there is a white Youtube video overlay that makes playback buttons etc. unreadable when hovering the playback keys/buttons. Because the buttons are white too.

Worked all ok before, but with the updates to Version 1.19.65 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Official Build) beta (x86_64) and two before, this white overlay is displayed.

It’s not coming up on other chrome based browsers nor any other. Even the linux version works fine.
Only MacOS 11.1 and Brave Beta

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

Hey @hansie , can you try clearing out the cookies for youtube (and maybe cache also). and then re-login back in.

If it’s still occuring paste a link to the youtube video, and you geo location so I can attempt to replicate it.

Hi,
I tried to clear the cookies and cache PLUS switching every extension off.
After a restart and re-login the same issue.

Then I went into users/…/lib/application support/bravesoftware/ and copied a folder named Profile4 to the desktop.
Then deleted the bravesoftware folder and restarted brave beta. Then quit it again and copied all files from the Profile4 folder to the folder ‘Default’ in BraveSoftware Folder, newly created after the restart of brave.
Everything is fine now and working.

COULD BE AN OPTION FOR AN BACKUP BUTTON, TO MOVE PROFILES AND EXTENSIONS AND SETTINGS TO BRAVE BETA/NIGHTLY ETC or TO MOVE TO ANOTHER COMPUTER or LINUX with BRAVE.

MAINLY backing up settings and extensions, because the brave wasn’t working for me between macos brave and android brave…

Anyways, problem solved. Thanks a lot for your help. Brought me to this idea. :slight_smile:

Actually found the solution.
When you enable ‘Force Dark Mode for Web Contents’ under brave://flags you will definitively get a white overlay on youtube videos, when hover over the play button, what maks the buttons etc. unreadable.

usually you have a black gradient overlay on youtube videos when hover over the buttons, but the dark mode is nothing else than a simple invert. So the black gradient overlay get’s inverted.

Also doesn’t matter what option you choose in ‘Force Dark Mode for Web Contents’, it gets inverted (white gradient).

That should be fixed by the brave team, same as beeing able to get rid of the ‘EXTENSIONS’ button in the menu bar from brave.

Anyways, that’s the solution and cause of the white gradient overlay on youtube videos !

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.