Where is Open File?

Version 0.66.99 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Not to ask too stupid a question , but where is “Open File”? I have a lot of html files on my hard drive. I will use Firefox for the time being.

1 Like

Should I request this as an enhancement? The ability to load local html files?

1 Like

Just posted: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/5219

1 Like

Hi,
do you mean to open a file or something via Brave after it has been downloaded?
Click on the file in the “Download Bar” below and it will open. :slight_smile:

Or are you trying to open the html files via Brave? You can change this permanently (Windows 10):
Right click on the file, here HTML, choose “Properties”, at “Open with” click on “Change” and choose Brave. Then all these files with the ending HTML should be opened via Brave.

I myself use an HTML book that I always open via the index file.

1 Like

Work around: Ctrl+O 123456789

1 Like

I am trying to do it from the hamburger.

1 Like

@ToddAndMargo,

To what end, if I may ask? If you have Brave set as your default browser, opening any of these files should launch Brave and navigate to the correct address. Is this not the case for you? Additionally, you can also click + drag HTML files into the browser directly which accomplishes the same thing.

1 Like
  1. what makes you think Brave is my default browser? I use a lot of browsers for various different purposes. (I adore both Brave and Firefox. Chrome makes my skin crawl. Midori just stinks. Etc…)

2. when working on certain things, opening a file manager to go find a file to read takes quite a bit longer than just using File-> Open. At times, depending on what I am doing, it can be a pain in the neck.

As I understand it, it means if you set Brave [in the future] as the default browser.

To open the HTML file with Brave I wrote you a permanent manual, if you always want to do this by hand, you can also do the right click → Open with.

I don’t understand, to be honest, what you expect from Brave and the forum (to solve the problem), could you describe the feature of Firefox, and indicate where to find it?

Edit: Ok, I found it in the burger menu of Firefox. You could suggest this function. I’m already interested in what you’re giving as a reason :face_with_monocle:

I only expected for someone to tell me I was blind and Open-> File was “here”. Nothing more. I did not expect a discussion on default browsers , etc., although extra information is always appreciated.

When no one answered me (on the question asked), I figured it was a bug or an oversight. So I reported it

add open file to hamburger menu:

I though I had posted the bug report back here, but apparently I had mixed it up with the report on a Wine bug

This is just a Kaisen (constant improvement) request. Brave is a shining example of Kaisen.

Opening files from a file manager is sometimes convenient and sometimes not, especially if having to change thought processes to do it makes me forget what I am working on.

Ctrl+O is the workaround whilst we wait on 5219. Ctrl+O is one stroke of the hand, versus tons of mouse movement and buttons.

Thank you for all the help! :slight_smile:
-T

I’ve been using Brave for a while. For “normal” browsing.

Today I decided to give it a spin with more serious work. In this case opening files that I’m developing on the local machine, through the file system (not a web server).

The absence of a menu bar appears to make that impossible in a sensible way. The discussion here suggests that it’s not possible. (I’ll investigate how it handles a file:// protocol, but that’s not a professional grade solution.)

I had the feeling that Brave was part of the movement to enable humans, to let them take control of their lives, to learn and to be in charge. Sadly it seems not.

Another one bites the dust.

UPDATE: I can confirm Brave does respond to files using file:/// so there is a solution, of sorts. There’s also the Ctl-o key combination which some will find better. (But it’s not obviously discoverable.) Using these approaches, though, I found that Brave will not serve up file types that used to be universally supported (like xml) so confirmation that the world is closing down on people … becoming less.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.