Where does the money go?

payments

Dear Brave devs, dear Brave community,

this is probably my biggest mysterium about Brave.

Almost 2 years ago when I was first introduced to Brave, I didn’t care about it’s claims of being the safest browser or the fastest browser - which browser would not say that about itself? - but what got me interested was the one thing that made it different from any other browser: Brave Payments.

At first I only liked it because it would give me a share – which is still the main “selling point” to me - but I also grew to love the way it would support publishers.
All I knew about Brave Payments was based on this infographic (which is outdated and therefor not on brave.com any more):

Back then the due date for the final release of version 1.0 of the Brave browser (based on GitHub) was just a couple of weeks ahead, so I tried to help by doing most of the German translation. But the due date was pushed back a dozen times and eventually disappeared entirely.

Brave Payments seemed to have been abandoned or at least been put to a halt, as no new info appeared for quite a while – I wasn’t even sure if the Brave team still wanted to do this and nobodey answered my community post, so I left the Brave browser do it’s thing until a couple of months ago.

With the BAT (Basic Attention Token) there finally was a glimmer of light!
The Brave Ads Program finally started to get going – in fact, it is in testing phase right now!

Still, it leaves a couple of important questions unanswered.
For example, where does the money go?

Especially for an open source project it’s critical to have these sort of things visible to the user, otherwise it will just sound fishy.
I’ve actually tried to get a couple of people to try out “a browser that would help them support publishers and most importantly, give them a share as well (eventually)”, but it’s kind of hard to convince someone without any data to base your arguments on.

I’m really not quite sure why this isn’t addessed more often. Brave Ads or Brave Payments is almost never even mentioned on GitHub or this community, or Brave’s site itself by that matter. I just don’t get it. Isn’t money the one thing that would draw people in for sure?!

There was a piechart, illustrating the money distribution a while back.

Nowadays there is nothing but a pile of unspecific and surprisingly small amount of information left around the BAT and Brave Payments and anything else associated with the two.

Thank you for anyone lifting the fog for me.
Cheers,
Zuzu_Typ

Coincidence and good fortune: I happen to own a 200th anniversary reproduction of the first edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. It’s a reproduction – no special value. I think lots can be learned by looking at the spines of the unopened volumes. The 3-volume set was issued serially: volume 1 is A - B, completed in 1769; volume 2 is C - L, dated 1770; and volume 3 (the thinnest and last) is M - Z, dated 1771. This was, I’m sure, neither the first nor the last time an optimistic and ambitious project was overtaken by reality. Summary: marketing meets production.

More narrowly, and specific to your post: I think Brave’s intent to fund website authors with micropayments in lieu of advertising is brilliant. Using cryptocurrency? Not so much. Many jurisdictions have reporting requirements related to cryptocurrency. Whatever benefit Brave might offer is utterly negated by the burden of compliance both for browser users and website publishers. Reliance on cryptocurrency is a guaranteed “fail” for many regions of the world. This has nothing to do with an overly optimistic and ambitious timeline; it’s just a bad idea.