Whenever I close Brave and then open it, I get logged off of all my accounts

When I open Brave, it says “Your preferences can not be read” and I get logged out of everything.

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1.I close Brave
2.I open Brave
3.Bam

Expected result: My preferences can’t be read and I have to log in to my accounts and make a new profile

**Brave Version - V1.22.71

**Additional Information:**That’s pretty much it.

Hi, @MeanCanadian, are you Win10?

Yes I’m using windows 10

Thank you, @MeanCanadian. If you go to brave://settings/clearBrowserData can you check On exit tab, and make sure you don’t have Passwords & other sign-in data marked? Also check brave://settings/cookies and make sure you don’t have Clear cookies and site data when you quit Brave marked (fourth down, under General Settings).

I don’t have either of those checked

Okay… well, I think we need more help on this, @MeanCanadian, so maybe @eljuno or @aa-ron can stop by and offer more suggestions to try. I’m sorry :confused:

@MeanCanadian,
It appears that you may be dealing with a corrupt profile. While there are steps we can take to resolve the issue, they would involve foregoing/losing the browsing data from your original profile. That said, if you’re okay with starting fresh (even if not ideal) I can help you resolve the issue that way.

I’ve also reached out to some team members to see if there is a safe way to retain/retrieve your old data. Appreciate your patience.

2 Likes

@MeanCanadian,
So if it is indeed a corrupted profile, I’m not sure theres any real way to recover your data outside of potentially an OS backup – but that’s a bit of a hassle and if you’re not sure when this started, you may backup to a point where the corruption still exists.

While I do apologize for the inconvenience, the best solution is to probably start fresh here. Here’s how I would recommend going about this.

1. In Windows, navigate to c:\Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-browser.
  2. You should now see a User data folder here. In the event that you should want to keep this data for any reason, go ahead and make a safe copy of it now (copy and paste the entire folder somewhere else on your machine).
  3. Once copied, rename the User data directory you see there – you can name it anything, I find it easiest to just add the word Old to it.
  4. Launch Brave.

When Brave launches now, you should see the Welcome screen. This is because a new User data directory was generated by the browser. From here, you should essentially be using a completely fresh version of the browser with no associated data inside it. To test and make sure this sticks, quit and relaunch the browser again – you should not be seeing the same error upon relaunching (Your preferences can not be read) and the browser should launch normally.

Let me know what you find out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.