When I click "Update" My Browser Closes But Does Not Relaunch

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

In the toolbar I see the message, “Hello! A Brave update was just released. Requires a quick relaunch…”

When I click “Update” my browser closes but does not relaunch. Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to update my browser. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brave: 0.23.107

V8: 6.8.275.24

rev: 6f2fc65

Muon: 8.0.10

OS Release: 17.7.0

Update Channel: Release

OS Architecture: x64

OS Platform: macOS 10.13.6

Node.js: 7.9.0

Brave Sync: v1.4.2

libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.84

I haven’t received a response after 5 days. Is there a better way to contact Brave support? I couldn’t find an email address or phone number listed on the website and my Reddit post also went unanswered.

Apologies for missing you post(s). Lots of big changes going on here at Brave and sometimes things slip through the cracks. Thank you for calling it out, we’re always trying to improve ourselves in all areas - not just our product.

As for your problem, I don’t see anything logged that describes the issue you’re seeing but I do have a solution. If you are unaware, Brave has been making a big shift this year, switching from our previous Muon based build (this is the one you’re using now that you’re unable to update to v0.24.0) to a new one based on the open source chromium engine. If you’d like to learn more about why we made the change, you can read this blog post by our CTO Brian Bondy where he speaks on the subject in greater detail.

We recently released the Beta version of this new build to the public. There still many features and design/UI changes being implemented, but it’s perfectly suitable for daily use. This build addresses many known issues we had with our old one (Muon) and adds additional functionality not present (or possible) previously.

I highly recommend jumping over to the Beta release. At the very least, I can guarantee you that it will update and relaunch without issue :slight_smile:
Here are some resources to get you started:

Brave Beta Download
Official Beta Announcement
Brave Beta Support here in Community

Additional resources:

Brave Software Twitter
Brave Support Twitter
BATProject Reddit

No worries! I read about the switch to the chromium engine during Brendan’s AMA, but I wasn’t aware the Beta was already released. Thanks for letting me know. i downloaded the Beta browser and it’s working great.

I do have one question/suggestion: It would awesome if you added DuckDuckGo as one of the default browser options. Their commitment to privacy seems to be aligned with Brave’s priorities, and of course they’re Brave verified. In the meantime, I wasn’t sure how to add the browser. I see three field: “Search Engine”. “Keyword”, and “URL with %s in place of query” - if possible could you please let me know how the formatting would look for DuckDuckGo.

Thanks

The easiest way to accomplish this is to simply visit DDG and perform a search. Once done, DDG will be automatically added to the Search Engine list under “Other Search Engines”.

Hope this helps!

Exactly. This is what I asked here. Is there any usefulness if people keep reporting issues with Brave regular (muon), I mean, any long term implication for Brave based on Chromium?
Is it time to ask people to use Brave Chromium and not to use Brave (muon)?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.