What's with this promo for site "cryptodude.me"?

windows

When downloading current (2019-05-15) Brave Browser, there is a promotion that Brave will support site “cryptodude.me”. However, doing any independent research on “cryptodude.me” or “cryptodude” produces defunct sites and/or a suspended Twitter account. Is it good for Brave to be promoting seemingly defunct or possibly unethical properties?

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Download current Brave browser and install it. During installing or at the end, you will get a popup page about how easy it is to support “cryptodude.me”. Page address is here: https://brave.com/CRY262

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I get the results from this page:

Expected result:
Expect Brave to only be promoting current/legitimate Internet affiliates/properties.

Reproduces how often:
Once, when installing Brave browser on a new machine for the first time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10, May 2019 preview edition.
Brave Browser Version 0.64.75 Chromium: 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Hi @Whitewashed,

That’s a referral page. See the URL brave.com/ cry262.

That means, the owner of cryptodude.me have their site verified and opt-in to referral program for publisher.

You will not visit the referral page unless you choose to visit it. Either by clicking the link or else.

Brave Verified Publisher is open for any kind of publisher and content creators. But if they create a “ghost” site to only collecting the contribution, then that’s a different issue.

1 Like