What brought you to Brave?

windows

I don’t remember where I first heard about Brave, but I think it was from a link posted in a forum I was reading. Anyway, I downloaded the browser several months ago and played around with it for a while. I had been using Firefox for a number of years because I liked some of their add-ons to increase privacy and cut out common annoyances on web pages, and I ended up going back to it because it was more familiar.

Now they have broken something so I can no longer hear sound in videos or podcasts. Their only solution is for me to install a different sound server on my system from the one I am currently using. This I will not do, because I already tried it, and it causes problems for some of my other applications. Besides, I should not have to change the applications and preferences on my personal computer just to make a web browser work properly.

I have now been watching videos with Brave and will change it to be my default browser, only going back to Firefox if I find something that doesn’t work here. So far it is looking good.

I go back to Opera as a safer method. The main problem with is it is a memory hog.

I am wondering whether you are referring to Opera or Brave as the memory hog. If you mean Brave, here is just an observation. I frequently get a message that Brave has closed unexpectedly, but I don’t “have enough free memory to automatically analyze the problem and send a report to the developers.” I don’t have memory problems with any other apps, so I tried to figure out what was happening, and found that at one point, just a single tab in Brave was apparently consuming over 95% of my CPU’s resources. It seems to be an issue with the particular website I had open, rather than the browser itself, as it will not work properly without ads and tracking enabled, and likes to push out a lot of junk I am not interested in. I don’t have problems with any other sites I visit.

Debbie, I need to study your email carefully about Brave. The memory hog is Opera.
I have seen some instances of weird Brave behavior on memory usage for about the last 2-3 months and have seen several unexpected closures but not recently. These happen on my small machine with 2GB of memory. I long have wondered that Brave may have a memory leak. Individual tabs can ‘die’ and must be either closed or restart Brave.
I will say Brave has some real problems that should not happen, perhaps related. Because Brave is unable to export, allow copying of the bookmarks, or having Brave reinstall without loosing all the bookmarks, I am afraid to investigate workarounds.
One of the old ‘word gods’ said “You can observe a lot just by watching”. Now to formulate the questions.
Doug James

Debbie
January 24 |

I am wondering whether you are referring to Opera or Brave as the memory hog. If you mean Brave, here is just an observation. I frequently get a message that Brave has closed unexpectedly, but I don’t “have enough free memory to automatically analyze the problem and send a report to the developers.” I don’t have memory problems with any other apps, so I tried to figure out what was happening, and found that at one point, just a single tab in Brave was apparently consuming over 95% of my CPU’s resources. It seems to be an issue with the particular website I had open, rather than the browser itself, as it will not work properly without ads and tracking enabled, and likes to push out a lot of junk I am not interested in. I don’t have problems with any other sites I visit. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

oldengineer
January 20 |

I go back to Opera as a safer method. The main problem with is it is a memory hog. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Doug. I cannot really speak for Opera. I tried it for a while when
it first came out, didn’t like it, and never went back. I used Firefox
for a number of years, until they recently decided to no longer work
with my sound server. The only option they offered me was to watch
YouTube videos and podcasts with no sound, or install an application on
my computer that causes problems playing my local sound files. That is
how I ended up using Brave.

to my personal settings, but I think often caused by sloppy coding of
the web pages. That is why I usually have a couple of other browsers
installed, besides my primary one, so if I am really fighting to make a
site work as it is supposed to, I will just try it in a different browser.

I have 8GB of memory, so memory should not be a problem for me. The
weird thing is that when I get that error message, Brave has not even
closed. I have what I think you describe as a tab that died, and I just
reload the page to bring it back. I just don’t know what is causing the
tab to die and if the error message accurately describes what is really
happening.

I haven’t tried to import or export bookmarks yet, so I don’t know how
that would work for me. Many years ago, I devised my own way of dealing
with bookmarks. I keep them all sorted and arranged in an HTML file I
have stored on my own computer, which I set as the home page in any web
browser I use. It makes one less thing I have to deal with when
installing a new browser or even a new operating system, or moving
things to a new computer.

Sometimes I look back twenty years, and wonder how our lives ever got so
complicated. :slight_smile:

Debbie

Debbie,
I think I found how to contact you.

I did confirm a memory leak. The machine has 4GB, not 2GB.
Had 4 tabs open with a memory useage of 71%; closed Brave and Windows 7 alone used ~30.5%; reopened brave with the same 4 tabs and used 57%. These are common sites: Drudge, Breitbart, Yahoo mail, and weatherunderground. Breitbart can lock with a black screen which requires closing the tab or Brave.

Brave 0.19.139
rev 99aa17d
Muon 4.7.2
libchromiumcontent 64.0.3282.85
V8 6.4.388.20
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 6.1.7601
OS Architecture x64
Doug James

Ad free browser, security and speed. Shifted from Chrome

I fascinated about Basic Attention Token, Brave, and a crypto maniac.

Because I wanted to save bart Baker’s parody channel

privacytools.io brought me here. In recent years I’ve turned a privacy freak, especially after the NSA whistle blowing. What I now seek in a softwares is:

_> They must be open source or FOSS {Free & Open Source Source Softwares]
_> Privacy & Security Focused
_> Has Clear Statement on the company makes money if their software is free & not paid.
_> Good genuine community reviews & suggestions on different forums on web.
_> Low Footprints & easy on battery+resources.

Brave had all the above five ticked & thats when i decided using on android However, i think Brave for desktops is yet to develop a lot! Its buggy & lacs many customizable features. Firefox beats Brave on Desktop race.

Firefox Quantum :fox_face: is by far the best desktop browser for me till date in all aspects I seek: Speed, Security & Highly customizable :desktop_computer: Brave lacks many ability of privacy tweaks that mozilla has :grin:

Yeah, same with me as well.

He’s the best parody maker out of all the ppl on YouTube who try been watching his channel since the beginning hbu

I moved to Brave from Firefox Quantum, for security, privacy and REALLY FAST!. But Brave is very young yet, need useful extensions exactly.
Nevertheless, after this, I will use Brave. :kissing_heart:

I was just browsing and read about Brave’s idea, and loved it!

You might consider giving it a look :

I was originally attracted by the speed, adblock, and tracker blocking aspects in Oct 2017. I’ve used it since and learned more about payments with Basic Attention Tokent (BAT), cryptoeconomic considerations and the tokenization of attention. I think tying the BAT crypto & payments system to the adblock and tracker blocking reatures is brilliant, and a great way to signal credibility to users about the validity and intent of security efforts.

Brave is absolutely, unequivocally, hands-down my favorite browser I’ve come across. MetaMask supported automatically! Awesome job.

I am distressed that my information is no longer mine especially since the Equifax breech. While I can’t ever get my financial privacy back I can choose not to participate in just having it stripped from me. What I like about Brave is it’s simple to use and interesting how it’s being developed within a community.

I’m a bit of a browser nomad. I have Opera, Vivaldi, Firefox, Brave, Seamonkey, and Chrome that I flit back and forth between. Sometimes I experiment with others too.

I like trying new experiences and learning new programs. I also experiment with Linux.

I like that Brave is open source, fast, and interested in user privacy. It’s still quite basic right now, but it runs well and mostly does what I need it to do.

The problem is that as I get older, my eyes are getting worse. I’ve had to start wearing reading glasses.

In my experience, Blink-based browsers aren’t as good at rendering fonts as Firefox, so I’ve been spending more time with Mozilla. Brave is lacking a reader mode, which would go a long way to make sites easier for me to use. I keep hoping that one will be included in the future.

Also I use the Sigma-Aldrich website a lot for my job, looking up Safety Data Sheets for various chemicals. Brave is the only browser I use that doesn’t let me view those .pdf files directly in the browser. Instead, it makes me download them every time. That’s the only site I’ve come across where they don’t work correctly though, so it’s a minor issue.

Used to be a firefox user years back starting with the initial release of firefox. Switched to chrome when Eich was sacrificed. While I’ve always used AdBlockPlus and Ghostery, I’ve become increasingly concerned about privacy. I started using Duck Duck Go for search, and with Google and FB privacy concerns being in the news lately it finally put me over the edge. Considered switching to edge but I can’t get syncing to work for some reason. Almost went back to firefox but then learned about the mozilla MITI project, which even though it’s not part of the browser currently, amounts to an open door for censorship. Then discovered Brave last weekend and I’ve made the switch, despite not yet being able to sync to my phone. I hope that comes soon, but I’d rather live without sync than let google continue to productize me the way it does. To that end I will be working to eliminate use of other google apps too, possibly even switching to a custom rom that doesn’t have google apps installed.

I was reluctant at first being chromium based, but did some research and found a blog post or something indicating that there is no code that calls home to google so that set my mind at ease.

It feels like Brave is poised to set itself apart, not just in terms of privacy but in terms of being able to support content creators that I like, which I have no particularly viable means to do unless I want to disable AdBlockPlus and Ghostery.

Assuming I start using the BAT system at some point, I hope Brave will add a way for Brave itself to be included in getting a slice of my pie. I want to be sure that Brave never finds itself in a funding bind where it has to make decisions between shutting down or selling out. If Brave continues to be as noble in protecting my privacy as it is now, I’m willing to chip in a little.