Weird copy paste bug

Description of the issue:
I found something that seems like a bug on Chromium or Brave, here I will give you the detail. I noticed this first time when I’m copying an RSA key and when I pasted it got a different value.

What’s worse is, every time I copied a bitcoin address it will be pasted as this address “14BexZMoP1gqvSbLZSfYigjUvfcXkroScK”. Can somebody look into it, please?

Steps to Reproduce

1. Copy any bitcoin address (Try using this address 3QpKs45BLXirWAgYtV1sTCbAkfUe7HByR5 this is GrapheneOS’s BTC)

2. Open bitref.com (I have not tried other web, but this one specific web is reproducible in Chrome and Brave.

3. Paste the BTC Address there. The first time you hit paste it will return nothing, the second time you hit paste it will return 14BexZMoP1gqvSbLZSfYigjUvfcXkroScK. And this will keep happening every time you copy-paste a BTC address.

Actual Result

Copied BTC Address always return 14BexZMoP1gqvSbLZSfYigjUvfcXkroScK no matter what is the BTC address

Expected result:

When copying a string, it will return the same exact string when pasted.

Reproduces how often:

Always happened, will reset once you copied another non-bitcoin string

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

I’m on MacOS 10.15.5 & Brave v1.10.97

Additional Information:

Also reproducible in Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit). I don’t know if the bug affects copying-pasting generally or only in Chromium-based. I have tried with Safari and it did do the same.

Solved, it was not Brave but rather a malware in my Mac.

I think it is some extension that I installed, I disabled all recently installed extension and now it’s not doing the same.

Sorry for that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 19 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.