Websites no longer stay logged in or automatically log in after shutting down Brave and restarting it

I’m not sure if this is going to be the solution you’re looking for, but this kept happening to me on certain sites and not for others. No amount of fussing with cookies/sessions/password-storage could resolve it.

On a whim I tried putting “shields down” for the sites that this was occurring on, and it worked like a charm, across the board. For those new to Brave, or just unaware, if you click the shield in the address bar you can toggle “Shields Up” or “Shields Down” - the former of which is the built-in default for all sites.

Not an ideal solution, since it allows tracking cookies on those sites, but it’s at least some way forward worth considering.

For other developers out there: I don’t fully understand the mechanism for this, but I can share some additional info: One of the sites that this was happening for, was one I coded up from scratch (my own PHP framework, basic JS, running under Apache on a server I manage, and not a lot else). It utilizes a basic authentication cookie to preserve log-in state. Despite the cookie being set over https, secure-only, and an expiry a week in the future, it was consistently wiped by Brave every single time the browser was closed, thus forcing me to log back into my own web app constantly.

I hope this information helps someone out there.

1 Like

@LadyFitzgerald – I understand your frustration, but please be patient with the people who are trying to assist you.

The suggestions being mentioned – whether or not you personally think they are the issue – are very common causes for this type of behavior. It’s always worth ruling out the most obvious cases first and doing so throughly.

Some suggestions you may not have tried yet:

1. Do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time? if so, which ones and regardless, can you try disabling them (temporarily), then seeing if the problem persists?
  2. Going even deeper than the previous request, can you try creating a new profile (Menu --> Create new profile), which will start you with a fresh profile with no data attached to it or settings configured, and see if you get the same results when you try to save credentials?
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.