Website login pages become VERY slow to respond as of Nov. 16th

Description of the issue:
Beginning Nov 16th when I attempt to login at Fidelity.com and CITI.com Brave warns the the page is unresponsive…after about 1 minute I am able to enter my login credentials into the login boxes. Initially when I type in the login boxes no characters display…but appear after 1 minute during which Brave reports the page is unresponsive. Firefox exhibits no delay when attempting the login.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. go to fidelity.com
  2. Click in the Username box and type your username
  3. No characters render in the box for over 60 seconds

Expected result:
Typed characters should appear immediately as you type in the login boxes
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.32.106 Chromium: 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I have never had this unresponsive login experience until Nov 16th

Tested fidelity.com as per report, I don’t have a login, but just typed some characters in the username field. No lockups yet (waited 3-4mins).

Try in private window mode (no extensions), and test with shields=Aggressive also.

In private window mode the site was unresponsive before displaying anything on the screen…finally a notice appeared that suggested I was located outside the US, which I am not. My VPN node is Salt Lake City. These are the terms Fidelity wanted me to accept before proceeding to the Fidelity site content.

Today on Drugs.com the site believed I was located in the UK which prompted me to accept some legal terms before proceeding. These outside the US messages have not been seen before … the timing of these non-US messages may coincide with my login issues which began Nov 16 - the same day the most recent version of Brave was rolled out.

Firefox works fine on fidelity without login issues - it’s a Brave issue

After clearing Fidelity cookies from FF the International Usage page appeared on Fidelity - so that is same behavior as Brave. However, there is no LOGIN delay whatsoever. I can immediate login on FF unlike Brave for which a 70 second delay occurs before my typed username appears in the login box.

This is the same on all financial institution sites and I think it is all down to the targeted action against browsers such as Brave that do provide a degree of privacy for the user. In UK I have personal experience with two of the major banks, Barclays and NatWest(RBS) that wish to shovel loads of data scraping malware into the browser on start-up. As you note, if you just wait the intrusion times out and login becomes “responsive” again, and you can continue with your login. It’s nasty but that is what they are. I discovered more details and posted a while back on this - Online banking broken today. Recognise your enemy!

Are you using ‘Secure DNS’ settings in Brave? If so, what if you disable it? (Turn it completely off.)

I have the same issue, with fidelity.com

As the original post states, fidelity site becomes unresponsive / sluggish for about a minute. It is specifically the password field I believe. My userID comes up pre-filled and doesn’t seem to cause the issue.

I am on a Mid-2011 iMac, running High Sierra (10.13.6), and my brave version was updated around that time (Nov. 16) as well. Brave 1.32.106

Thanks for the thought…disabling Secure DNS did not resolve the issue. HOWEVER, today the delay for the login credentials appearing in the login boxes is less than 10 seconds (with or without Secure DNS enabled), whereas all testing to-date the delay was consistently over a minute. I did log this issue with Fidelity yesterday, but can’t imagine they took any action to address this issue that quickly :slight_smile:

Thanks for the intel…I am not surprised. The enemy list is very long…probably easier and quicker to enumerate friendlies!

Strange.

I am on the road but if you don’t have a solution by next week I will be able to take a closer look then. It isn’t happening for me but maybe we can track it down somehow.

I’ve a potential fix into Brave adblock for fidelity, give it 24-48hrs

1 Like

The fix you sent me to put into adblock appears to work.

l went into the adblock section of the brave config as per below, and added the suggestion (also below), restarted brave and no more delay.

====

Does adding fidelity.com##+js(acis, tmx_post_session_params_fixed) into brave://adblock does that help?

I believe you provided this solution to my issue:
Does adding fidelity.com##+js(acis, tmx_post_session_params_fixed) into brave://adblock does that help?

Thank you! Can you describe what exactly this entry in adblock does to resolve the problem. Thanks - again - much appreciated.

I landed these fixes into Brave directly. If not in Brave Ad Block Updater - Version: 1.0.1139 will be in Version: 1.0.1140 (From brave://components/)