Way to remove download bar at bottom of screen permanently?

Every time I download something, it pops up. I want to remove it PERMANENTLY because it takes up screen space and is an OCD trigger.

Requesting this feature in a future version of Brave.

I run Bionic Ubuntu Linux and am on the Dev version of Linux Brave.

Mike

1 Like

Hi @mmkstarr, welcome to Community!

Unfortunately this is not a feature in Brave. But you can add an extension and set it to remove the download bar.

1 Like

Oh this is perfect. Thank you, Aa-ron.

Michael

1 Like

I really cannot believe that one needs an extension to remove such an annoying feature. It should be one button in settings that disables it. That link does not work either.

5 Likes

Here’s a very simple safe extension that works. It’s tiny and adds javascript listeners to just keep that bar gone. This is the actual source:
let disableShelf = () => chrome.downloads.setShelfEnabled(false);
chrome.runtime.onInstalled.addListener(disableShelf);
chrome.runtime.onStartup.addListener(disableShelf);

1 Like

Don’t understand how is this still a thing. No browser feature to remove the clumsy, intrusive, inefficient download bar.

Add a setting to REMOVE the bar entirely.

Better than relying on extensions that are more likely to stop working when an update or risk security.

3 Likes

Still waiting on this basic feature and many more. I see there’s no movement as usual

3 Likes

I’ve been using this browser for some months but tomorrow I’m going to start testing out alternative options.

There are far too many basic customization features missing, and the developers seem deliberately tone-deaf to the feedback from users. They ostentatiously ignore the users.

How can there not be a simple toggle to hide that huge, blocky download bar that hogs the screen? For that matter, who thought that bar was a good idea in the first place? It’s absolutely superfluous and it’s an eyesore as well.

Same deal with the default search engine built into the address bar. How lame is that? You start typing URL’s and you’re getting search suggestions instead of history autocomplete suggestions. Again, no way to disable that, you actually have to trick the browser – you have to “null out” your default search engine.

Seriously, this is amateurish stuff going on here.

Edit: the suggestion about using an extension for this, is ridiculous and exasperating. One of the main attractions about this browser is the supposed privacy and security it brings. Pushing third-party extensions for something this mundane is just sad user relations.

I’m looking elsewhere for a browser solution. Enough is enough.

3 Likes
  • Ad-blocking… Built-in!
  • Crypto Wallet… Built-in!
  • Ad & Rewards system… Built-in!
  • Advertisement-Supported News Feed… Built-in!
    –
  • Syncing… not profitable, don’t care
  • Custom wallpapers… not profitable, don’t care
  • UI customization… not profitable, don’t care
  • Actual TOR protection instead of free-loading it as a free proxy… not profitable, don’t care
  • Feature Requests Forum with voting… ignores
3 Likes

Or maybe a script that I could load and from my tampermonkey extension. That way, I wouldn’t have to install another extension. Anyone?

I found a simple built-in solution. Go to brave://flags/ and search “download” and look for the option called “Enable download bubble”, set it to enabled and you’ll get the minimalistic popup in the right corner instead.

3 Likes

That’s nice, Enabled now, Thanks :slight_smile:

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!
It’s INSANE that Brave has not provided us with a setting in the default GUI yet.

I know this is kind of late, but I might have a strange solution.
I had previously used the brave//file to change the download ‘shelf’ to a ‘bubble’ which
made a download icon on the top bar.
I later downloaded a theme to change the screen appearance and
noticed that the download icon is still there but even the bubble stating
that a download happened is now gone. I’ve only downloaded a couple of times
but it seems to work.
Hope this might help anyone going forward.

Wanted to respond here and say that a change from the download bar to the download icon on the top-right is riding the trains now and should be in release soon:

1 Like

I have the opposite problem after the April 9 update… now I can’t find files I’ve downloaded because there’s no “show in folder” button on the bottom anymore!

1 Like

How do I put it BACK. I liked it at the bottom.
Where is the setting??

It’s not obvious. Solution is this:

“Show in folder” option has been moved inside the Downloads button, just hover above the file and you shall see it! Or, you can go to Downloads Ctrl + J and it’s there as well.

That’s extra steps. I also can’t keep track of multiple downloads without opening another tab to do that. It was convenient to have the downloads at the bottom of the status area. If I had five successful downloads, I would see five notices at the bottom. Now I can’t tell if I downloaded anything.