Very slow to launch browser

Description of the issue:
The first time I launch Brave during a session it always takes a constant 35 seconds to appear.
How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Launch Brave when no other instance is running.

Expected result:
Brave should appear on the screen within a small number of seconds. On this machine, Firefox appears within 4 seconds. Chromium appears within 2 seconds.

Brave Version
Version 1.49.128 Chromium: 111.0.5563.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I tried launching from the command line, and if no other instance of Brave is running, the following error message quickly appears:

[241280:241308:0324/] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018

Launching then pauses for 35 seconds and these appear:

mesa: for the --simplifycfg-sink-common option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --global-isel-abort option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --amdgpu-atomic-optimizations option: may only occur zero or one times!

Just before Brave appears on the screen, there is a very quick flash (< 1 second) of a dialogue/message box that then disappears. It disappears too quickly to read.

Once an instance of Brave is running, starting a second instance is almost instantaneous and results only in the command line message “Opening in existing browser session.”

I’ve tried having all extensions enabled and disabled, hardware acceleration enabled and disabled. Resetting to factory defaults. Nothing makes a difference.

OS Version
Xubuntu 20.04 LTS
Linux 5.15.0-67-generic #74~20.04.1-Ubuntu

Hi Linuxdruid, Maybe you can try updating your NSS? NSS (Network Security Services) might be out of date. You will have to go into terminal. you can try following what is in the screen shot below.

Hi yesxb09.
That was a good thought, but my libnss3 is the most recent. Thanks for trying.
I did solve the problem by combining two other suggestions.
Several people suggest turning off hardware acceleration to fix other problems, which didn’t work.
Another suggestion was to turn off the ANGLE graphics backend via brave://flags, but the recent browser doesn’t have any such flag.
By chance, I searched for “video” rather than “graphics” among the flags
and immediately found “Hardware-accelerated video decode”. I disabled that and everything now works perfectly, though I have no idea why.

Glad to hear you fixed the issue. I’m assuming the video decode was immediately using a lot cpu power upon launch and that’s why brave was slow.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.