Various websites not functioning in Brave

There are quite a few things I like about Brave… but I’ve had to uninstall it (for now) as some websites I use just don’t play well with it.

1. Ticketmaster.com loads but when you try to buy tickets for event, it will say the browser isn’t recognized or you’ll get a white page and the stop/refresh icons will toggle back and forth a million miles a minute.

2. Crowdtangle. I use this for social media tracking and the website doesn’t work great with Brave.
    When trying to view lists I made, for example, the page doesn’t load at all.

3. When trying to view a live chat on FanGraphs.com, the actual chat wouldn’t load. The chat uses something called JotCast.

These are just three examples I encountered in using the browser for a couple hours. I was using the latest version available as of Sunday on a Windows 10 desktop.

1 Like

@midtowndraft,
Thanks for reaching out!
This is quite common given the way in which Brave blocks content on web pages. But I think we can work around this fairly easily – and learn along the way! First, regarding your issues:

1. You say that when you go to buy the tickets, the page is white etc – at what point does this occur? I ask because I was able to get all the way up to the point where I’d actually have to confirm and buy tickets without issue and I don’t want to buy them on accident!
  2. I haven’t tested it, but given the nature of the site, I imagine that you have to allow Ads/trackers, cookies or both in order to use the website (more on how to do this below).
  3. Fangraphs.com worked without issue for me, although I’m not sure I was testing the right thing? I was able to view “chat” content but I didn’t see where to actually add to the chat? I checked in Chrome to see what it should look like but the site rendered exactly the same (except it took way longer to fully render – not a plug, for real!)

Please let me know what I asked above. In addition, I would highly recommend reading through our Shields documentation – it will help you learn more about Brave and how you’re data is kept safe and, more to the point, will show you how to diagnose and recognize when they need to be adjusted to get content to display properly on the site. While not required, I would encourage you (and anyone) to do so:

1 Like
  1. I get it anytime I try to buy tickets. I click on “see tickets” for anything on this page, and get this:

My shield was OFF for the site, and I am allowing scripts. Only blocking 3rd party cookies and 3rd party fingerprinting.

Unable To Identify Your Browser

As you were browsing something prevented us from identifying your browser. There are a few reasons this might happen:

• You’ve disabled JavaScript or cookies in your web browser.
  • A third-party browser plugin, such as Ghostery or NoScript, is preventing JavaScript from running.
  • A browser plugin, such as Google Chrome’s Data Saver, is routing your network traffic through a data center or other proxy.

Resolving these issues should restore your access to www1.ticketmaster.com.

You reached this page when attempting to access http://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/Z7r9jZ1Ae4Zaz?tmrid=TMR-2540278&routing=y

================

Fangraphs itself will load fine. It’s live chats there that don’t. JotCast is a website applet for live chats - you’ll only see it embedded in a page there when there is a live chat going on with the writer.

As for CrowdTangle, when I try to access my lists on that site, I get:

This page can’t be found

No webpage was found for the web address: https://apps.crowdtangle.com/facebook/DASHBOARD_URLupdater/fb_redirect

HTTP ERROR 404

That URL is a redirect from where I’m trying to go. The URL I’m trying to go works fine in Chrome and Firefox with no redirects.

1 Like
  1. Ticket master works just fine for me on all OS and Brave builds. If your Shields were off and the site still wasn’t displaying properly then the issue is likely with your setup. What version of Brave are you using?

2. If possible, can you send me an image of the applet as it should appear? I was also unable to find a “live” chat to join and test against.

3. Crowdtangle seems to have the same issues in Chrome – I’m not actual able to even get it set up (in either browser) in order to test it. May be related to Chromium specifically.

@midtowndraft, you can get an easy-to-copy spew of your Brave and OS version by typing brave://version in the address bar and hitting return. @Mattches’ results and mine illustrate why version information is important. It’s probably safe to assume you’re using Brave release, not Beta, Dev, or Nightly, that it’s autoupdated, and that your Windows install is autoupdated, but you know what they say about assuming. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, as @Mattches inquires, knowing how the sites are supposed to look and what you’re supposed to be able to do helps a lot when they’re relatively alien to … well, me, at least, but I’m guessing him, too.

Using Brave 0.66.11 Chromium: 74.0.3729.91 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)
Revision 03844ed83e02b8add3f4b9cb859a7108d55b2e4d-refs/branch-heads/3729@{#860}
in Windows 10 Build 17763.437, Shields on, DuckDuckGo extension installed and active:

1. Ticketmaster I got to the checkout point without issue. Here’s how far I got with a show I actually might attend, but chickened out, the next screen being a login page:

2. Crowdtangle looks to require facebook account usage for login, or I’m not seeing an account creation page. When I logged into the site using my facebook account, it told me I had to use the LinkChecker extension, which I installed and seems to work.

3. Fangraphs appears to work fine with shields on and DuckDuckgGo’s extension on.

1 Like

@hnktong,
Great write up and screens.
I was eventually able to use fangraphs without issue (applet included) as well.
I also couldn’t find an account login page. I ended up just installing the extension and connecting it to my fb and twitter – worked without issue.

But I was under the impression that the site itself could be accessed? Can you clarify @midtowndraft?

I cleared out my cache and cookies and now Ticketmaster and Crowdtangle work fine. I think we’re good now - thanks for your help. For what it’s worth, I was using 0.62.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a fully updated Windows 10 desktop.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.