Brave Version 1.40.x

3 Likes

This and That…
Brave Version 1.40.x

2 Likes

@Chocoholic

Re ‘Can I Create BATs Backup . . .’

-and-

Re the important Brave Browser folder to back up, the following are two official Brave sources, one being ‘bat-chriscat’ (presume-ably @chriscat) and then an excerpt (info collected by @Saoiray) from a recent, June 2022 YouTube video (a ‘Weekly Call with Luke Mulks and others from Brave’):

Both sources say, to back up the Brave-Browser folder.

Paths I usually state in a Reply-Post. . .

Linux OS:

• $HOME/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Mac OS:

• /Users/username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Windows OS:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\

I much prefer to recommend backup of the parent: BraveSoftware folder. For technical reasons, saving the parent folder tends to also save other items, let us say, about the sub-folder, in this case, the Brave-Browser folder.

Saving the parent folder, tends strongly to keep the Brave-Browser folder intact. And I would want that, especially in Windows OS situations.

Better chances when restoring, to drag-copy the Brave-Browser folder (or contents of interest therein) . . . that was/were saved within the backed-up BraveSoftware folder.

The security credentials of a previous OS installation, used for encrypting and decrypting the passwords of the username-and-password combinations stored by the Brave Browser > Password Manager, are NOT in the Paths mentioned.

Therefore, in order to preserve the passwords, some backup method needs to be employed, and that might be one or more of:

• Brave Sync (PROBLEMATIC/UNCERTAIN)

• Export passwords to .CSV file

• Third-party password manager such as 1Password, BitWarden, KeePASS, LastPASS (examples)

• GoodSync backup software (example)

IF a Brave Browser user is willing to hack and struggle, in order to TRY to recover passwords, then read the following steps plus additional replies, at:

_ ‘Brave Wont show My Passwords, and Logged me out of all websites - #4 by CerealLover

Backup Software and Tips

Include date and time in the backup filename. For example:

• 20220629-1627_BraveSoftware_fldr_bkup.zip

• BraveSoftware_fldr_bkup_20220629-1627.zip

Windows OS users:

Create a new System Restore Point every day or week, depending upon the importance of recent work.

2 Likes

Me too. That is why I put the note with @CerealLover snip. I commented on this in the original post too.

One comment, although backing up the User Data folder works in most instances, there are sometimes issues (rare cases, I think). Brave support posts on reddit and here are wishy-washy between backing up just the User Data folder vs backing up the entire Brave-Browser folder. :wink:

I would do both just in case. If I had to choose just one, I would back up the Brave-Browser folder. The User Data folder is under that, so could always use just that. BUT if you are one of those “rare cases”, you have the entire Brave-Browser folder to use if needed.

As posted in User Solutions:
can i create bats backup? - #4 by CerealLover
Note: Consider backing up entire Brave-Browser folder and not just User Data folder.

Many older topics, including from Brave support staff, say to backup/restore just the User Data folder. So the conflict is not going to easily go away. I still think the snip is valid especially if you add the note I posted, or your own, recommending that the Brave-Browser folder should be backed up and not just the User Data folder.

Maybe we can get @CerealLover to make another snip? What about it @CerealLover? Can you please make another snip? :grin:

Thanks for the share! I will add that (or you can :smile:) to the “Try this…” or maybe the “How to…” section. Not sure which since the information is a mix of a little bit of both. Where do you think it belongs?

As always, thanks for contributing. Take care.

2 Likes

This and That…
Brave Version 1.40.x

2 Likes

@Chocoholic

At:

Referred to the following (posted by @Cored):

1 Like

This and That…
Brave Version 1.40.x

Some of the text is unreadable

Troubleshooting & Workaround video:

Recap of video:

1 Like

@Chocoholic

What you asked for - searching Chromium issues, bugs, and commits, with respect to Chromium versions:

Some website is really bright and affected others with white background - #19 by 289wk

1 Like

@Chocoholic

Re backup of BraveSoftware folder

Because, one must consider the perspective of the computing device Operating System and its methods that establish file and folder access permissions.

The permissions of the PARENT folder, may affect the permissions of the contained folder.

In addition, there may be invisible files / hidden files that pertain to the contained folder . . . but are within the PARENT folder.

WHERE permissions discipline is established, is not entirely known by the user who believes that the user has set permissions . . . but later finds:

For example, running Mac OS, you might alter some permission for a file . . . only to later discover that your change was reset by the Mac OS upon a restart of your Mac computer. (A Mac OS self-defense mechanism for the user’s sake.)

Meanwhile, running Windows OS, the complex fabric of policies plus permissions, plus the Windows OS Registry, means that, your chances for a successful and (later) useful backup of the ‘Brave-Browser’ folder, are improved by actually backing up the PARENT folder (BraveSoftware) for the ‘Brave-Browser’ folder.

Just a reminder that a new version release (Brave version 1.41.x) is scheduled for 07/12/2022. If you haven’t backed up your Brave-Browser folder lately, now might be a good time!

2 Likes

This and That…
Brave Version 1.40.x

Link to Topic: Brave nightly no ads

Selected posts in topic from @tmancey, Staff Software Engineer, Brave Browser

@Chocoholic , @Saoiray , @Aman_M

Will interest:

How to use Brave's "Cosmetic Filter" to block undesired page elements

And

Ads aren't being blocked anywhere anymore - #42 by MrWaste

Ads aren't being blocked anywhere anymore - #43 by MrWaste

Ads aren't being blocked anywhere anymore - #44 by MrWaste

2 Likes

@289wk Nice find! I like it! :slightly_smiling_face:

For some reason, I like this post better than the Help Center topic. I’ll have to figure out why later. I just skimmed it mostly for now. lol

Posting the Help Center topic for reference. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Think I know one reason right off the bat. Can’t enlarge the images/recordings in the Help Center topic but can in Mattches topic. Big difference.

1 Like

@289wk Wow. I didn’t know that. Trying to get those gmail ads out of the way. :+1:

To all community members. I may be taking a break from forum participation for a few days. If the update occurs before I get back, I will post the User Solutions: Brave Release 1.41.x when I decide to start participating again. I really like to post it on the same day of the release but this time it may be delayed. If anyone else wants to do it in my absence, feel free! Take care. :smiley:

1 Like

@Chocoholic Have a good time out there. You do good work here and will be missed. :smiley:

NOTICE: New region restrictions on verifying Brave Rewards with Uphold

DETAILS:

In consultation with the team at Uphold, verifying Brave Rewards with an Uphold account will now only be available in the following countries of registration, effective immediately (starting July 12, 2022):

• Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Colombia
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Supported regions for verifying Brave Rewards with a custodial wallet provider

VERBATIM . . .

Support for verifying your Brave Rewards profile may vary by region and custodian. Currently, Brave Rewards can be verified with the following three custodial wallet service provider partners:

• Uphold
  • Gemini
  • bitFlyer (Japan only)

Supported regions for each custodian are as follows:

Uphold, Gemini

Verifying Brave Rewards with Gemini or Uphold is available in the following 19 countries:

1. Australia
  2. Austria
  3. Belgium
  4. Canada
  5. Colombia
  6. Denmark
  7. Finland
  8. Hong Kong
  9. Ireland
  10. Italy
  11. Netherlands
  12. New Zealand
  13. Norway
  14. Portugal
  15. Singapore
  16. Spain
  17. Sweden
  18. United Kingdom
  19. United States

bitFlyer

Verifying Brave Rewards with bitFlyer is only available for users in Japan.

Brave Browser Stable Release Update to v1.41.96
(Chromium 103.0.5060.114 < no change)

• Added Solana DApp support for Brave Wallet. (#23520)
  • Added Solana support for importing accounts and creating transactions from Ledger with Brave Wallet. (#23061)
  • Added Brave Wallet notifications for successful or failed transactions. (#19885)
  • Added the ability to hide networks from displaying in Brave Wallet under brave://settings/wallet/networks. (#23208)
  • Added the ability to edit known networks for Brave Wallet. (#23207)
  • Added the ability to change custom RPC URLs for known networks. (#20517)
  • Added direct routes to specific Brave Wallet onboarding pages. (#22589)
  • Added direct routes to specific account management modals in Brave Wallet. (#22588)
  • Added “Force Paste” option to right click context menu. (#22567)
  • [Security] Fixed Developer Tools console leak in Tor window as reported on HackerOne by bugm0nkey. (#23579)
  • [Security] Implemented HSTS partitioning. (#18830)
  • Implemented time-limited sync code words. (#22242)
  • Improved privacy by preventing pages from passing identifiers through “window.name”. (#5910)
  • Improved general performance by removing unused Brave Shields blocking data for closed tabs. (#23559)
  • Updated Brave Wallet to show asset information while loading balances. (#23436)
  • Updated the UI to include clickable “Learn more” links on certain Brave Wallet account modals. (#23531)
  • Updated Brave Wallet UI to preserve whitespace in the signature message text. (#22699)
  • Updated text from “web 3” to “web3” across various Brave Wallet pages. (#23328)
  • Updated Brave Wallet right click context menu text. (#23033)
  • Updated UI for when Brave Rewards balance cannot be fetched. (#20991)
  • Updated Omaha installer version for Windows to v1.3.36.131. (#23047)
  • Updated the size of hover indication and clickable area for the new tab button. (#22902)
  • Moved brave://adblock to brave://settings/shields. (#8838)
  • Fixed localhost being incorrectly set for both Ethereum and Solana for Brave Wallet. (#22959)
  • Fixed inability to complete Moonbeam transactions with Brave Wallet. (#23529)
  • Fixed Brave Shields being disabled by default in certain cases. (#23214)
  • Fixed various UI/UX issues with Brave Shields. (#22546)
  • Fixed incorrect hover shape for folders on the bookmarks bar. (#23667)
  • Fixed the edit top site dialog displaying in the background of the New Tab Page. (#23685)
  • Fixed blogspot.com URLs not being debounced. (#22894)
  • Fixed incorrect color for “Show Sponsored Images” toggle when disabled. (#22645)

@Chocoholic

Brave Rewards / Brave Wallet / Crypto . . . info of a more refined, issue / nature:

Brave wallet not allowing 0 GAS Price on Arbitrum Test Network - #15 by onyb

What is this "Brave fee" that Ramp tries to charge you when you buy via the Brave Wallet? - #3 by onyb

07/12/2022 Brave Release version 1.41.96 released.

Brave Community 1.41.96 Release Notes
Brave GitHub Desktop Changelog: Changelog Desktop

A new User Solutions topic has been created: User Solutions: Brave Release 1.41.x

Please place any new comments, suggestions, workarounds, solutions, etc. you may find and want to add in that topic. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this topic!

2 Likes