This is a list of useful programs/applications that you can use to help capture screen activity when reporting bugs and troubleshooting with Brave Support.
All the tools listed here are free and/or open source and have been filtered them down to the ones that are easiest to use and quickest to setup. If you have a suggestion for an app or tool that may be useful when reporting, message me directly @Mattches with your suggestion and I’d be happy to consider adding it to the list.
Free, open source application used to capture and record screen activity. Many Brave employees use this due to its simplicity and quick production.
How to use Licecap:
Once installed, launch LICEcap and resize the window frame as desired.
Hit record and choose a destination for the file output.
After the pre-roll countdown (you can turn this on/off/change it’s length in LICEcap settings), any screen activity that occurs inside the window frame will be captured.
Stopwhen you’re done recording and the recording you just took will automatically be saved to the destination you selected in
The default Print Screen function on your system is perfectly suited for this task. However, if you’re looking for more functionality - such as highlighting, labeling or otherwise annotating a screenshot used for support, there are a couple other options out there you may want to try:
Lightshot Screenshot (MacOS)
Free, open source screen capture application that comes with additional features, such as:
- Drag-and-drop resizing of the capture area as opposed to capturing the entire screen. This eliminates the need to crop your image separately once its captured.
- Annotation tools to mark the captured screenshot directly without leaving the app.
- Easily copy or save the image directly from app
Snipper Tool (Windows)
This tool comes standard on the Windows 7, 8/8.1, and 10 Operating Systems and is surprisingly powerful. Additional features include:
- Allows user to select type of screen they’d like to capture (whole screen, specific window, etc)
- Built-in annotation tools and button to open the image in Windows Paint 3D program for further editing if desired.
- Easy to save or copy/paste directly from app