URL Hover Preview

In most browsers I have used, when I hover over a link in the current web site, the full URL is displayed in the status bar below the browser. I cannot find a way to get Brave to display this URL preview. Is this possible already or do I need to make a feature request?

1. Open a web site with links to other sites in it
  2. Hover over one of the links
  3. No URL is displayed. No status bar is visible at bottom of Brave browser.

A preview of the URL of the link being hovered over ought to be displayed

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
None

Try disabling the HW acceleration.
See if that solves your problem.

Hi @bakershack,
Can you also try creating a new test profile and see if hovering over something shows you a link in the bottom left?
Click on the menu icon in the top right corner > create a new profile.

No change. I don’t even see a status bar at the bottom of the browser window. Should there be one or does the URL preview pop up as a tool tip?

Tried this. No change.

Can you try restarting Brave and/or restarting your device?

I have restarted Brave several times. This is happening on both of my primary laptops and has occurred through several reboots.

@bakershack,
What version of windows are you on?
When you disabled Hardware Acceleration did you quit and reopen Brave?

Version 1909
Yes, I restarted Brave after disabling Hardware Acceleration.

You mention this happening on multiple devices:

Is there anything you can think of that you’ve changed for both installations?

I really haven’t changed much of anything since installing. I set up the BAT wallet and started accumulating. I don’t remember ever seeing a status bar, but only recently was I really curious about seeing where a link was taking me. This was when I noticed that there seemed to be no way to see that. So I started looking for a setting like “Show Status Bar” or something like that. I have only had Brave installed for about 3 months.

Do you have a theme installed?
Have you tried switching the appearance, i.e. from light to dark or vice versa.

No theme, and using default look. Setting is Same as Windows. I played with that setting - no change. Is there supposed to be a status bar somewhere in the browser that would display the URL, or is it supposed to pop up like a Tool Tip?

This is what it looks like - very odd that you don’t have it, I’m still looking into it

:thinking:
Is there a setting to turn off/on the status bar?

There is no setting for this.
However you could try resetting your settings via brave://settings/reset to see if that could resolve it.

I just did the full reset. No change. So there IS supposed to be a status bar at the bottom of the browser window?

@bakershack
Sorry for the late reply. Yes there is supposed to be a status bar. This is a very rare case. I’ll be taking a note and looking out for others with the same issue and hopefully we can find the problem. If you have any more info or find the status bar to appear, please let us know.

I actually do have the status bar on my home laptop. It pops up only when there is something to display. However, the status bar is still AWOL from my work laptop, a Dell with Win 10 on it as I stated previously.

@Aa-ron,

I’m experiencing this issue also. I typically hover over all links to see where they lead and they no longer show up in Brave after the latest update or so. I’ve just recently noticed this so it’s fairly new bug behavior introduced. I’ve already restart Brave as a test. As a sanity test, opening the latest Chrome and Chromium builds show me URL locations when I hover over the URLs as expected (I was making sure some sort of functionality wasn’t removed from the chromium base…).

Brave version: Version 1.11.101 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
macOS Version: 10.15.6 (19G73)

If you could please point me to a github issue page where I can track the issue for a fix that would be awesome.