URL Hover Preview

Do you have a theme installed?
Have you tried switching the appearance, i.e. from light to dark or vice versa.

No theme, and using default look. Setting is Same as Windows. I played with that setting - no change. Is there supposed to be a status bar somewhere in the browser that would display the URL, or is it supposed to pop up like a Tool Tip?

This is what it looks like - very odd that you don’t have it, I’m still looking into it

:thinking:
Is there a setting to turn off/on the status bar?

There is no setting for this.
However you could try resetting your settings via brave://settings/reset to see if that could resolve it.

I just did the full reset. No change. So there IS supposed to be a status bar at the bottom of the browser window?

@bakershack
Sorry for the late reply. Yes there is supposed to be a status bar. This is a very rare case. I’ll be taking a note and looking out for others with the same issue and hopefully we can find the problem. If you have any more info or find the status bar to appear, please let us know.

I actually do have the status bar on my home laptop. It pops up only when there is something to display. However, the status bar is still AWOL from my work laptop, a Dell with Win 10 on it as I stated previously.

@Aa-ron,

I’m experiencing this issue also. I typically hover over all links to see where they lead and they no longer show up in Brave after the latest update or so. I’ve just recently noticed this so it’s fairly new bug behavior introduced. I’ve already restart Brave as a test. As a sanity test, opening the latest Chrome and Chromium builds show me URL locations when I hover over the URLs as expected (I was making sure some sort of functionality wasn’t removed from the chromium base…).

Brave version: Version 1.11.101 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
macOS Version: 10.15.6 (19G73)

If you could please point me to a github issue page where I can track the issue for a fix that would be awesome.

Bump for anyone who might be able to help.

The same issue for me.
Win 10 1909
Brave version [Version 1.11.104 Chromium: 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Unlike in Brave hover preview and page loading progress visible in Chrome and Edge.

Switching off HW acceleration; setting new profile - tested w/o any improvement…
I hope that problem will not be disregarded as this preview is useful link screening feature…

I see the same issue on

MacOs 10.15.6
Version 1.12.112 Chromium: 84.0.4147.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This is very important to me as a security feature.

AS for today:
just after WIN 10 update from 1909 to 2004 and with
Brave [Version 1.12.112 Chromium: 84.0.4147.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
problem disappeared. I can see again hover preview with URLs in left bottom corner of browser window. Cannot say, which update made the difference, as both of them took place at almost the same time…

This still happens to me.
Brave [Version 1.13.82 Chromium: 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
Win 10 ver 1909

For anyone encountering this issue – it very well may be an extension you have installed that is interfering with the URL displaying at the bottom. Can we take stock of what we have installed and try disabling any extensions and see if the problem persists?

I’ve had this problem for a while. I realized today that if I click the Restore Down button in top right, the hover previews started working. I Maximized the window and it continued to work. I wonder if it has to do with Brave not calculating the screen resolution properly and it puts the preview out of the display frame until the window is resized and it recalculates properly. I have a high resolution display and my Windows 10 display settings are set to display everything at 125% and perhaps that is throwing Brave off a bit.

Try resizing your Brave window and see if URL Hover Preview comes back.

3 Likes

Wow!

This did the trick for me too :smiley:

Thank you!!

2 Likes

It seems to have worked on one of my machines. I’ll have to check the others.

2 Likes

Just adding to this that I also have the same issue, and AfterShock’s workaround worked for me too, but would be good to get a permanent fix from Brave.

I’m also using a HiDPI screen with 150% scaling, so it definitely seems like that’s the cause. I’m using Version 1.14.81 Chromium: 85.0.4183.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Win 10.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.