Url bar lag while typing

Hello,
The url bar is lagging awfully while typing. I searched around and noticed that a few others also had this problem. I tried disabling prediction service, turning hardware acceleration on/off, reinstalling brave (appdata folder deleted) and it comes back several minutes after sync. I’m guessing it has something to do with my bookmarks since I have a lot (~800). Is there going to be a fix without involving the possibility of deleting my bookmarks?
using Version 0.66.101
Thanks

@Elmar2001,
Your bookmarks shouldn’t have any effect on this but maybe if it’s trying to pull bookmarked sites into search results it could be lagging while it searches through the list.

Can you try opening a Private browsing session (or Private w/tor) and typing in the address bar to see if this helps? If not, try creating a new browsing profile and testing this as well (“People” icon on the top right --> Manage People --> Add Person)

I tried private / tor / new profile, the issue still persists in all of them, in new profile however, it’s less extreme. Another thing I noticed when I turned my notebook on and opened brave the issue seemed to be gone but came back after ~5 minutes.

1 Like

@Elmar2001,
Thanks for the information – I’ll be looking into this tonight. Please ping me if I don’t get back to you tomorrow.

1 Like

@Mattches Updated to 0.67.123 and it was gone for several moments then came back again :confused:

1 Like

@Mattches currently on 0.67.124 and the issue still persists.

@Elmar2001,
Have you tried disabling Hardware Acceleration in Settings yet? If not,

Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration and set this option to Disabled. Make sure you relaunch your browser when prompted for the changes to take place. Let me know if this makes any difference for you.

@Mattches I had tried it as my first troubleshooting step when the problem showed up, tried it again now - no difference.

@Elmar2001,
Apologies – I skipped right over that in your initial post. Do you have any extensions installed in brave?

@Mattches yes, but it also happens in private window w/o any extensions

@Elmar2001,
If you don’t mind, can you confirm that you don’t have any extensions running in Private mode? This should be the default setting for Private browsing sessions, but you can allow certain extensions to run in Private by going to the Details section of the extension:

@Mattches Yes, can confirm there are no extensions enabled in private mode.

@Mattches also disabled all the extensions in normal mode, restarted, still the same problem

1 Like

@Elmar2001,
Is there any chance you can share a short screen recording of the behavior?

@Mattches

@Mattches this doesn’t happen on my other device with same extensions and bookmark chain.

@Elmar2001,
This is very strange. Can I ask if any of your extensions installed are New tab page related?

@Mattches nothing new page related, ubo + extra, privacy badger, decentraleyes, privacy possum and bitwarden. Those are all the extensions I have and enabled

@Mattches still no solution available?

@Elmar2001,
Apologies for the late reply.
I’m still not entirely sure why it is you’re seeing this. Would you be willing to download one of our Beta, Developer, or Nightly builds and test to see if you get the same lag in those? Note that all Brave builds can be installed and run in parallel without interfering with one another (no risk of losing your data in this way).