Uphold sent 20.0 BAT to @BravePublishers despite Auto-contribute turned OFF

bat transfer

Hi there,

I run Brave on four devices (3x Windows PCs and 1x iOS) and have been using it for roughly 8 months now. I finally created an Uphold account back in January and have invested financially when BAT was around $0.40, in addition to accruing tokens daily.
I use uniform settings and have linked all devices to my Uphold account, so auto-contribute is all switched turned off, maximum ad popups etc etc.

A couple of days ago I noticed I was down 20.0 BAT, and that I received no email notification that I authorised the transfer. It just happened out of nowhere, see attached image.
I’ve spoken to Uphold and they have stated the following:

“We’re sorry to hear about this, upon reviewing the mentioned transaction(s) it seems it/they might be related to tips or auto contributions as they were triggered by Brave Browser. I advise you to check your Rewards settings and scroll down, there is an option where you see the status. If in any case it is “on” then that would be the reason why this transaction was executed automatically. If the feature is off please contact the Brave support team directly as they should be able to better assist you with this case.”

So here I am, politely requesting aid from a Brave staff member in reversing this transaction. I did some research and have learned it may be a bug from this latest browser version, but I cannot confirm anything more than speculation.

1 Like

cc @steeven for assistance with your issue.

1 Like

The same thing just happened to me too…

1 Like

UPDATE: I have just discovered the cause of this issue. A new user account was created on the desktop, which reset the auto-contribute setting to ON for that user.
Doing so has caused the unintentional consequence of accessing my Uphold wallet and auto-contributing BAT without my authorisation. I have since rectified this but am still seeking a reversal of the transaction, as the BAT in question was bought and paid for with the intention of holding. Please assist me @steeven.

Hello,

The exact same thing happend to me on the 12th of April, for a transaction of 19.75 BAT. Auto contribution is off and this transaction doesn’t appear in my transactions, monthly contributions, auto-contribution or one-time tip history.

So my questions are: where do this money went ? why ? how to prevent this to happen again ? Can you assist me on this @steeven ?

Thank you

Thanks for reporting. I’d like to ask a few questions to start:

• Auto Contribute is ON by default and must be manually turned OFF. Did you turn it OFF?
  • Do you have multiple devices linked to your Uphold? If so, is Auto Contribute turned OFF on each of these devices?
  • Can you share a screenshot of your Contributions and Event Log tabs which can be found here brave://rewards-internals/

Thank you in advance!

HI @Anagna, when you created a new user profile in the browser it switched to ON?

Hi @steeven,

To answer your questions:

1. Auto-contribute was manually turned OFF on all devices.
  2. Multiple devices are linked to my account, all with auto-contribute turned OFF.
  3. Screenshots are below.

It wasn’t a new user profile within the browser itself that caused the issue, it was a new user profile in Windows 10. This reset my auto-contribute setting to ON, even only for that user, but it was enough to bypass all other authorisation and access my linked Uphold account.

See attached pictures, apologies for using my phone instead of taking screenshots, I have limited access to that machine. I’ve set everything to OFF in the meantime.

What Brave version are you currently on?

Which user profile directory are both profiles using? Curious if it’s the same. You can find it via brave://version :

Profile Path C:\Users\kamil\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser-Nightly\User Data\Default

Thanks @Anagna!

They are not the same that I am aware of.

As for Brave version, both use the latest 1.23.73 version.

Hi @steeven,

Is there any chance of having this 20.0 BAT returned to my Uphold wallet?

Can you DM me the email linked to your Uphold?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.