Uphold says that Brave is the only one who set up device limit

Hi.
I had two computers with Windows and Brave connected from both. Then I reinstalled Windows and I connected Brave again. It’s OK so far because 2x2 is only 4.
BUT I reinstalled one of my PC with Linux and I wanted to connect Brave to uphold wallet but the device limit reached because this was the 5th installation from Brave point of view.
So although I have two computers with two browsers only one of it upload the earnd BAT to uphold wallett. If I would reinstall or disconnect the last working Brave then I would loose ALL possibility to transfer the earnd BATs to my uphold wallett. It’s ridiculous! :frowning_face:

I already read many topic about the device limit but I don’t understand the reason behind it. Come on! I just reinstalled my computers and I lost all connection from Brave to Uphold.

This must be fixed asap, I think.

A question: Does the device limit managed by Brave or Uphold?

Thanks

15 Likes

It is quite radical. but to answer your question I believe it is Uphold’s end not Brave.

1 Like

Yes, the four-device lifetime limit is very frustrating and unreasonable, but the limit is set by Uphold, not by Brave. This is one of the reasons I refuse to connect my Brave wallets to Uphold.

4 Likes

I have asked Uphold about this question. Here is our conversation. Based on that the device limit is set by Brave!

Here is my original letter to Uphold:

Jun 8, 2021, 3:01 PM GMT+1

Hi.

I had two computers with Windows and Brave browser connected from both to my verified Uphold account. I reinstalled Windows on both PCs and I connected Brave again on both PCs. It’s OK so far because 2x2 is only 4.
BUT I reinstalled one of my PC with Linux and I wanted to connect Brave to my uphold wallet but the device limit reached because this was the 5th installation.
So although I have two computers with two browsers only one of it upload the earnd BAT to uphold wallett. If I would reinstall or disconnect the last working Brave then I would loose ALL possibility to transfer the earnd BATs to my uphold wallet. It’s annoying and ridiculous!

I already read many topic about the device limit but I don’t understand the reason behind it. I just reinstalled my computers and I lost all connection from Brave to Uphold.

Is there any possibility to reset the device counter or manage it by myself? If I sell my PC and I buy a new one then I won’t be able to connect Brave to uphold account anymore. It makes no sense.

Thanks

Their first answer to the same situation and question I asked in the current topic from Brave:

Uphold Support (Uphold Support)
Jun 8, 2021, 8:44 PM GMT+1

Hello ****,

Thanks for getting in touch with Uphold. We’re proud to be a partner of Brave and will be glad to assist. For this kind of issue, it’s best to contact Brave directly.

You may want to review Brave’s support page and this is also their main support channel https://community.brave.com/c/support-and-troubleshooting, or browse their FAQ for more details: https://brave.com/faq

If you have any other questions, please reply to this email. We’re always happy to help.

Sincerely,

The above answer was not so obvious to me so I asked the following:

Dear Uphold!

Does it mean that the device limit is managed / hardcoded in Brave browser?
Does Uphold apply any kind of restriction about how many devices/services/etc can be connected to an uphold account?

Thank you

Here is their answer:

Uphold Support (Uphold Support)
Jun 10, 2021, 7:54 PM GMT+1

Hello ***,

Regarding your question, Brave Rewards are the ones who set up the amount of accounts that can be linked to a crypto wallet.

At this time, the maximum number of Brave Rewards wallet instances you may verify or link to an Uphold account (or other custodian account) account is 4.

You may also want to take a look at the following link:
https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056508071-How-many-Brave-Rewards-wallets-can-be-linked-to-my-crypto-custodian-account-

If you have any other questions, please reply to this email. We’re always happy to help.

Best regards,

Dear Brave developers!!! It’s your turn.

10 Likes

I am facing this problem too, this is so frustrating, they should at least offer assistance to remove previous linked devices

9 Likes

wonder if we will be able to have 4 at uphold and 4 at gemini at same time…

2 Likes

@foreggbor Nowhere in that link does it say that BRAVE made that limitation, only that it exists. It’s still Uphold that required the limitation.

@anon81204720 Where did you get the information that Gemini will have the four-device limit?

1 Like

dunno… this statement kind of says they do…

Regarding your question, Brave Rewards are the ones who set up the amount of accounts that can be linked to a crypto wallet.

1 Like

@tonymend1980 I’m not taking Uphold Support’s email as gospel, especially when they cite a Brave FAQ that says nothing of the sort. Uphold has already been caught doing some shady stuff, and I trust them (and their “support”) about as far as I can throw them.

1 Like

either way… brave support has stated they are aware of these issues and are working on them.

1 Like

@Gecawi LOL. Shady stuff? It’s all open source. Go to the GitHub and download the source and tell us all what the shady stuff is.

I’m pretty sure the rest of us know what’s up with BAT and support, while you’re frantically trying to defend the devs.

Open Source is not a panacea, nor is Brave fully open-source, transparent with us where our BAT went, and audited despite dealing in funds.

6 Likes

Many of us have this problem. The sad thing is that nobody from Brave developers replied yet. It looks like it’s a real problem for many of us but there’s no solution from Brave. Either plans are not visible.
Based on my current information directly from Uphold the device limit managed by Brave.

3 Likes

Download brave beta, it got a lot of fixes and updates. It may have different “rules” or a way around some current issues on regular brave.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s hit Beta yet, but they have a fix in the works so when you select ‘Disconnect Wallet’ option it actually works. Not sure if it actually frees the slot on Uphold.

1 Like

This device limit is urgent. Brave needs to take this seriously. If I lost my phone or a Windows Update caused some issue, people will lose money. Yeah! BAT is the money for the internet.

3 Likes

does brave beta has different rules??? if yes then what is the maximum uphold connection limit. is it 4 or more??

Brave Beta is still 4 Uphold/custodian connections. It’s supposed to follow the same rules, except you could get more than 5 ads an hour.

2 Likes

I have the same issue, and I needed to reinstall my computer because of my work.
Today I am unable to get my BATs, do we have any informations about any evolution ?

Guys, just wondering what if you create another uphold and get that verified? and delete the previous one will that bypass the device limit as you are connecting to a new wallet?