Uphold BAT Wallet verification Country Match Error

Please ensure that you’ve read through the following topics/pages thoroughly before opening a topic as your question may have already been answered:

Please try to adhere to this template when reporting bugs. If you think you don’t need to fill out every section in the template fill out as much of it as you can and please be as descriptive as possible when posting.
<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->

Briefly describe your issue:
Since September of 2021 Turkey was not eligible for Brave rewards until very recently since my wallet got blocked and flagged. Now I’ve can see I’m able to verify my wallet once again and resume rewards but when I try to log in to my uphold account it says the country registered does not match with the country brave sees? How is that possible? Both are registered to the same country?
What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
[
Version 1.46.140 Chromium: 108.0.5359.99 (Official Build) (arm64)

Is your Brave Rewards Profile currently verified? (yes/no)
no
What date did you connect a your Brave Rewards Profile?
N/A
Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
Yes
Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
No
Are you in a supported region ([see here]?
Yes
**Does your device pass the [SafteyNet]check (Android only)?**N/A

Have you fully completed [Uphold’s CDD] requirements? Yes

1 Like

Yeah im sure brave is working on another option to exchange bat token with.

Well, most likely means one of two things.

1. In recent updates, Rewards asks you to choose a country. It’s possible you didn’t choose Turkey?

2. You’re not verified as Turkey through Uphold. (see note below)

Often when we talk about people not having verified for a country, people just think back to the idea of their address in the profile or their proof of residence sent to Uphold. However, they forget that the passport or photo ID they used to verify with Uphold plays a part. So let’s say you used to live in Iran and had an Iran passport. You moved to Turkey and provided all your change of address to Uphold, but you never changed the passport. Well, Uphold would tell Brave through the API that you have a Iran passport and therefore Brave would see your country as Iran.

So, question is, have you ALWAYS been in Turkey and even submitted Turkey passport?

If so, then are you 100% sure you chose Turkey as your country when Brave asked? You can actually confirm this by going to brave://rewards-internals and it will show you Rewards Country.

My brave rewards country is set to TR (Turkey) also on Uphold I checked my address i signed up with and is also set to Turkey. However as you mentioned I do not hold a Turkish passport. I hold an Australian and I don’t have a possibility of getting a Turkish passport?Unless I reverify with a residence permit?

This is the reason of the issue.
Brave sees the country of nationality, not the country of residence.

Just a side note, since 2022 the name of the country is not Turkey anymore. The official name is now Türkiye.

@Nikola1 So yes, that’s likely the issue. Brave actually goes by the info you input on your Uphold profile as well as the ID you use to verify. Of those two, it puts a significant priority on your ID.

You just have to get an official government photo ID from the other country. For example, if I go to Australia I can get an Australian driver’s license without actually becoming a citizen of Australia. I had linked information about this to others before. Also if someone came to the United States, it’s possible to get a photo ID if you are residing here but before ever becoming an American citizen.

Yep, sounds about right. I believe the residence permit is a photo ID and would meet Uphold’s requirements:

• Hold a valid government-issued photo ID (Passport, National ID card, or Driver’s license).
    Note: We only accept IDs written in Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabet. The ID must be valid for at least 3 months.

So you’d create a Uphold Support Ticket and advise them you want to update your ID associated with your account. How long it takes varies. Some people have seen change in days and others had to wait several weeks before it showed on API for Brave.

I have a similar problem, live in France but supplied my British passport to Uphold. When brave asked me which country I lived in I must’ve put France. Is there a way of changing the country I gave to brave instead of giving a new form of ID to Uphold ?

Yes and no. The way you do it is by resetting your Rewards. This means all BAT not paid out to Uphold/Gemini would be lost. This is the only option Brave has given at this time. To do that, you go:

SettingsBrave RewardsManage Brave RewardsReset and then reset it. Once done, you’ll have a new Rewards and will be asked to select your country.

I have decided to go for an uphold support ticket. Should I directly upload the alternative form of ID with the attachments or should I wait until asked for it ?

@Cryptonic_X Up to you. I’m not quite sure how they do things as I’ve not had to change mine. What I can say is that when you originally do it, they have you submit it from within your profile. Not sure if they’d have you upload like that, if will ask you to email it to them, or what?

Guess if you share your experience in the process, might help on answering people in the future, lol.

greetings - my issue is similar but not exactly the same. I am based in Malaysia, and via Brave, none of the option to verify is available to me. However, I have been able to create and successfully verified an Uphold account. How should I proceed in order to transfer BATs to self-custody?

another observation: Malaysia is neither on the list of supported nor unsupported countries per the help article.

Currently not supported by Brave, which you can see at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/6539887971469 Only countries listed are supported. This means until they offer support to your region again, you’re kind of out of luck. You’re still able to earn BAT for now but not withdraw it. Starting next month, when 1.48 rolls around, you’ll no longer earn BAT either until Malaysia is supported and you link to a custodial partner.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.