Upgrading Computer Storage and Cloning Drives on Monday

Description of the issue:
Hi all,

I am planning on upgrading my internal HDD to SSD on Monday. I’ve seen some older posts with people having issues with successfully transferring their brave installation to the new drive, namely, losing that browser connection from their uphold account. The reason I’m writing this, though, is to confirm that I can safely transfer my browser user data before the fact instead of freaking out about it afterwards because I broke it somehow. I want to know about any pitfalls that I need to avoid for a successful transfer.

Does anyone have any recent experience successfully transferring their brave installation to a new storage device and if so, was it just as simple as cloning all your drive data to the other drive or did you need to do anything else?

Thank you all!

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Trying to incorrectly copy brave data over to a new drive, I guess.

Expected result: (of the problem, I’m assuming?)

A browser installation on the new drive that isn’t recognized as an existing Uphold connected browser wallet or an unsuccessful transfer of browser data (I’ve seen people getting messages about corrupted files and other oddities when transferring).

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.40.107 Chromium: 103.0.5060.53 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Version 1.42.29 Chromium: 103.0.5060.53 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)

Hey @Tuttminx I’m going to be lazy and just link you to where I’ve discussed it in a FAQ. Check out BRAVE SYNC/BACKUP & RESTORE at PSA: User FAQ - Support & Answers and you’ll see links to detailed instructions that was provided by the Rewards Product Manager with Brave, Chris (Chriscat).

Short version is just backup your /Brave folder and move it over. Make sure it’s all updated. Also, DO NOT run both browsers at the same time. If you run two active clones, it can get you flagged. This will move anything you had in your Browser over. If you’re Verified, then everything in Uphold/Gemini should still be there and all you have to worry about is getting Brave installed and then sign into the browser with your info.

Difference between the two is if you’re Verified, it should be in the system and you’ll have everything already in Uphold/Gemini. If not Verified, then you need to do manual transfer since vBAT is essentially stored on your device.

1 Like

Hi

A successful cloning, using clonezilla, is described @ this post How to get profile back after HDD to SSD clone?

** In the last week I had to do system restore, twice, from a system backup saved in an external disk. It’s a bit different from cloning; Result: I lost a few BATs (estimated earnings), but the most important news is that Brave is running perfectly.

2 Likes

@CerealLover

Awesome, thank you for the thread link. I’m cloning my new drive now and I’m hoping it all goes smoothly. I’ll know in a couple hours or so once I take out the hdd.

On, and fun (not verified by me) fact, apparently clonezilla cannot be used specifically for windows users who are cloning from an ssd to hdd or vice versa. There’s some sort of additional formatting that clonezilla doesn’t do for you in order for windows to recognize the cloned drive. Found that out when my dad suggested using it. Hope that helps someone in the future!

Hey, thank you for that awesome link! That answers my question perfectly!

One follow up question, though, since you seen you have a solid understanding of it all. Can I add a cloned browser to the linux distribution I’m planning on installing? I want to make the complete switch to linux but can’t make it my primary if I lose those Uphold connections. It won’t result in a violation for simultaneous instances running at the same time. But I’m just not sure if brave might see the different OS as some sort of attempt to circumvent the team’s design and still flag my account.

I appreciate it!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.