Upgraded to 0.61.51 today, and it's smokin'

Thanks, you guys. I previously complained when switching from Muon to the new base, things just weren’t working right. Well today I upgraded to 0.61.51, and it is smooth, fast and much less of a memory hog! Just running iheart radio for an hour, the old Muon browser was occupying 1,973,660k of RAM. After upgrading and running iheart for an hour, new Brave only occupied 475,320k of RAM, a BIG difference and a breath of fresh air for my PC.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! Lots of fun features coming down the pipeline as well!

Hey, I am new to Brave. Unlike you, I use Mac and constantly get 1.5 GB RAM used (same as Chrome). Am I doing something wrong, I thought Brave will take less resources. (1.5GB when 1 blank tab open and nothing else). Thanks

1 Like

I am clueless when it comes to Mac…anyone else have any information for Vito?

I think that is the latest one (that what I currently have).

Brave is up to date

Version 0.61.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same Brave version in MacOS 10.14.3 (Mojave) takes about 323MB when you add all the helpers. Do you have extensions that might be blowing it up, @vmv_777? Even then, I have several extensions enabled in my Brave Dev Version 0.63.8 Chromium: 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) and it takes around 660MB.

Reg. Brave:

Brave Dev:

1 Like

Oh, I do have around 22-24 extensions enabled, same ones as Chrome. Did not think about this one, but again, I thought will be still less RAM used as Chrome uses. Thanks for the reply.

That’s a lot of extensions. I have no idea how valid this comparison is because after poking around I am kind of lost as to what numbers to actually look at in Activity Monitor, and the numbers are fluctuating a lot, so this whole thing might have been pointless. Low blood sugar and bad sleep aren’t helping. So maybe just skip this post, and someone with stronger KungFu can address the memory comparison.

If you’re up for losing some time to what may be idiocy below,
for sh*ts and giggles, I downloaded Chrome and added some extensions to get close to what I have in Brave Dev:

The general trend with the “Usual” group of extensions on and just this page loaded, (not including this draft response in Chrome)
Sum based on process name but using hiearchical view: Brave 694MB, Chrome 737MB
Info box: Brave 281MB, Chrome 326MB (Real Memory Size)

With all extensions except SimpleExtManager off in both, but leaving ABP, uBlock, uMatrix in Chrome to try to account for Brave core functionality:
Hierarch: Brave 573MB, Chrome 533MB
Info: Brave 264MB, Chrome 306MB
I’m sure there’s more Brave core functionality that I’ve not addressed, so I suspect that Brave wins once all that’s included.

Here are the info boxes to illustrate:
06%20PM
46%20PM

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for detailed post. Very helpful <3

1 Like

You’re kind or kidding, and either way, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@hnktong,
I agree, excellent reporting!
Please note that there is a known issue where Brave Rewards will run in the background even if it’s not yet enabled (I will dig around for this issue on GH and post when I find it). If you see high cpu/memory usage, try disabling Rewards (even if it’s just temporary) to see if this is the effect you’re seeing.

2 Likes