Upgrade 0.19.134 -> 0.19.139 stuck in upgrade loop. Upgrade does not bump version number?

Brave 0.19.134 seems to be stuck in an upgrade loop. It has now asked me to upgrade to 0.19.139 three times (actually four, whilst writing this post). The upgrade appears to work, but each time the version number remains at 0.19.134.

After the upgrade, my About Brave page still contains:

Brave: 0.19.134
rev: 316cfa522ffe6a558fe9f2f3f299c0c602dfb691
Muon: 4.5.38
libchromiumcontent: 63.0.3239.132
V8: 6.3.292.49
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: macOS
OS Release: 17.3.0
OS Architecture: x64

Has someone simply forgotten to bump the version number or is the upgrade process messed up?

Chris W

Brave updates fail when user doesn't have admin rights

Could you look under the following location and see if you see any .dmp files?

under macOS - ~/Library/Application\ Support/brave/CrashPad
under Linux - ~/.config//brave/CrashPad
under Windows - C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\brave\CrashPad

If you find any .dmp files within the CrashPad, would you be able to back them up somewhere like Google Drive or Dropbox and Direct Message/Private Message me the link?

Thanks,
Lauren

With Lauren’s help, I’ve fixed it…

Didn’t have admin rights. DOH!

On my shiny new corporate MacBook, my employer no longer allows users to permanently have administrator rights. Instead, they have installed a new app called “Privileges”. In order to have administrator rights, you have to run this new app. You then get admin rights until such time as the machine is rebooted, then you go back to a regular non-admin user…

Totally forgot about this silly app.

However, the Brave upgrade process needs to report that the current user does not have admin rights. At the moment, you just get stuck in an upgrade loop.

Thanks @LogaRhythm

I have updated https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/2184 with your +1 and noted that if attempting to update without Admin rights a user should be notified. Going to close this thread for now. Thanks for your help!

Lauren