Unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox

linux

Description of the issue:
Starting Brave shows a “You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer.” messsage. GUI has changed and show a Google-Chrome style tab/appearance. I lost all my settings, including extensions, BAT settings (although I have backupped the recovery textfile). I can’t properly use Brave at the moment and had to switch to a different browser until the issue get solved.

In brave version a sandbox mode is effectively used as launch parameter. But I didn’t change anything. Maybe an update?

/snap/brave/44/opt/brave.com/brave/brave --no-sandbox --enable-tab-audio-muting --disable-domain-reliability --disable-chrome-google-url-tracking-client --no-pings --enable-features=EnableEmojiContextMenu,DesktopPWAWindowing,fill-on-account-select,NewExtensionUpdaterService --disable-features=SharedArrayBuffer,DefaultEnableOopRasterization,VizDisplayCompositor,AutofillSaveCardSignInAfterLocalSave,kAutofillServerCommunication --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end

Brave Version(about:brave):
0.56.12 Chromium: 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) unknown (64 bit)

OS Details:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

I am getting the exact same issues on my end, plus I cannot open Brave from the Ubuntu dock.
Command line parameters : /snap/brave/44/opt/brave.com/brave/brave --no-sandbox --enable-tab-audio-muting --disable-domain-reliability --disable-chrome-google-url-tracking-client --no-pings --enable-features=EnableEmojiContextMenu,DesktopPWAWindowing,fill-on-account-select,NewExtensionUpdaterService --disable-features=SharedArrayBuffer,DefaultEnableOopRasterization,VizDisplayCompositor,AutofillSaveCardSignInAfterLocalSave,kAutofillServerCommunication --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end

Brave Version : 0.56.12 Chromium: 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

@deregon here here buddy. Woke up to the same thing this morning.

Looking at Brave forgets EVERYthing after update. Working as intended? (referred in All settings disappeared. Brave disappeared from launcher. Opens to welcome to brave page), using:

sudo snap revert brave

has solved (it seems completely, currently checking it) the issue.

Currently checking side effects and/or if its a proper solution.

Hi thanks. I tried this and it seems to have worked. It looks like it reverted to an older version but I am not sure, I closed the terminal before I had read the message properly (muscle memory or something…)

Yes, snap revert is used to rollback to a previous version. Seems to be a workaround while waiting for an official response.

I’m getting a similar message in Manjaro after installing it from the Manjaro software repos. I have a fresh system install as of Friday and I’m just running Brave today, for the first time.

“You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer.”

Sorry for the late response everyone.
We’re aware of this and are looking into it now. See if the solution in this thread helps:

It doesn’t help on Ubuntu 18.04.1.

The message isn’t coming up on Brave anymore, but I don’t know if it was a one time message or if it shows up every time. I’ll have to look a little more at home to see. However, I just followed the directions in the virtual machine on this computer, and after rebooting Brave, the message is gone.

The message popped back up, but after running through the terminal commands, the sandbox message went away. So far, so good.

Hi @Mattches, the workaround described in the post does not work on a fresh Ubuntu installation nor does the one I found earlier while the issue persists.

Same problem for me on Ubuntu 18.04.1 - very frustrating, to say the least. The last thing that I expect to have to do anymore is fix problems from a vendor-imposed update. Ugh. I love Brave and have been a major advocate amongst my peers; following this incident I’m less inclined to recommend it.

Thanks for the revert information, that helped for me. I’m concerned now that I’m either stranded on a lower version or about to be re-upgraded to the version that vaporized all of my settings. Is there any word on this problem being fixed?

Same for me… The unsupported command - line flag comes up every time. I uninstalled it and then re-installed it… on Ubuntu. I really want to support Brave but for the time being am using Chromium and Firefox again… until it gets fixed.

I am also getting this “–no-sandbox” notification at the top of the browser window and the Brave browser application will not launch from the gnome dock on Ubuntu 18.10.

Same problems here. Just installed Brave on Ubuntu 18.04; the “no sandbox” notice appears and it will not launch from the dock. Plus, I cannot designate Brave as the default browser. (Chrome and Firefox are already installed.)

The Windows version works fine in Oracle VM VirtualBox (Windows 10).

Same problem here, I’ve been patient but do not want to use other browsers-so my internet activity is curtailed.

I hoped that today’s Xubuntu update would address the issue, but it’s still the same.

Has anyone figured out how to completely uninstall Brave and its configuration files----so that a new install from scratch can be done?

I hope there is a solution-if Brave isn’t up to snuff, using an unsupported version could be worse than not using it at all.

TY.

Art

Hi! I finally found a workaround after having to use Chromium for a few weeks now.

I am running Ubuntu (Bionic Beaver).

I used these commands to download a different version of Brave that seems to have fixed the problem:

https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux

These commands for Ubuntu:

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ `lsb_release -sc` main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release-`lsb_release -sc`.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser brave-keyring

Hi @hello-houston hopefully my suggestion works for you.

The issue persists, and more: I just recovered my wallet, and noticed that all my BAT tokens are gone.

Very, very disappointing.