Unrequested log in link

Nothing urgent, but more out of curiosity. I just received an email with a log in link to Brave community that I did not request. I am wondering if someone is trying to gain unauthorized access to my account.

Hello, @Debbie. It may be that somebody attempted to access your account. Please make sure you have a strong, secure password. You should also consider securing your account with Two-Factor Authentication, offered in your Settings. I hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. I always use strong passwords, but on your suggestion, I decided to try Two-Factor Authentication as well. I am just making sure I understand this before I proceed. In my settings, I found “Two Factor Backup Codes: You must enable a primary second factor before generating backup codes.” I assume that the “second factor” refers to either a Token-Based Authenticator or Security Key. The Token-Based Authenticator requires me to scan a QR code, which I am unable to do on any device I own. I assume that the Security Key option would require me to generate a ssh key pair and upload the public key to your site. Am I on the right track? What changes will I then see when I try to log into my account?

If you don’t have the ability to scan a QR code, you’ll also see an option to enter manually a short sequence of characters to setup your two-factor authentication. No SSH or uploading keys needed; download an authentication app on your phone, scan (or manually type) when prompted, and you should be up and running :slight_smile:

I don’t have a smart phone—only a dumb phone that makes voice calls like a land line. I do internet on a desktop computer. Are you saying I cannot do this by uploading a key?

I believe you can print-out some codes to use, but only after opting-in to either the Token-Based Authentication, or the physical Security Keys (e.g. a YubiKey).

Neither is an option for me, so it looks like I will have to pass on this for now, and hope that whoever it was will go bother someone else instead. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.