Universally compatible plugin to handle .pdf files

I recently switched over to Brave from Chrome after testing it with the websites I interact with daily, both work-related & personal, and much prefer it. There is one glaring deficiency, however. The built-in pdf handler works well enough for viewing and downloading pdf files from most sites but it is not supported in Outlook 365. I download, edit & electronically sign documents via OL365 routinely & this works flawlessly in Chrome with its built-in pdf handler. This is literally the only glitch in Brave for me. In all other aspects - speed, page rendering, integration of LastPass - it is far superior to Chrome. A universally supported pdf handler would make it the only browser I need.

Windows 10 Pro

I’ve run across another application for which the pdf.js handler is incompatible and it’s one I use daily for work. Regrettably, the two incompatibilities are show-stoppers for me and I’ve had to abandon Brave as my daily driver (for now). Brave is far superior to Chrome & FF in so many ways that this little Achilles heel is a big disappointment.

OT, but suddenly Brave’s built-in adblocker has stopped working as of a few days ago, as well.

I posted this in another thread on .pdf’s but I’m adding here in hopes the issue of broken .pdf handling gets some priority:
The .pdf extension is also not being added to .pdf documents downloaded in Brave. The defects in the pdf.js handler are the main reasons I can’t use Brave as my sole daily driver, which I’d love to do because it is so superior in almost all other aspects. It seems that I’ve been on this Quixotic quest for a browser that I can use for everything for years now but each iteration of each browser has its Achilles heel. Brave has come the closest to being the browser good for everything, but this is a pretty serious shortcoming.

Disabling the pdf.js plugin doesn’t allow the system default PDF handler to work, either. Adobe Reader DC in my case. If I attempt to open a PDF attachment within Outlook 365 I get an error message saying the plugin is not supported, even when pdf.js is disabled in Brave. PDF links on websites won’t open in-browser, just get the print/save dialog when I attempt to open them. This is a show-stopper for me, unfortunately.

I use brave daily since months. I had some trouble on some french sites with shields turned on so I had to turn them off but nothing very annoying. But for the built-in pdf handler, I had to deactivate it and restart Brave before being able to download PDFs on the french government income taxes site.

Which extension is it specifically?

That also had been an issue to me when I switched from Chrome like you did, but I found out for myself as the solution to switch my soft to work with documents as well. I got used to Adobe, it’s the most common and popular piece to work with PDF’s especially, but there are also dozens of other solution work even better, at least with Brave. I decided t choose a web-based one and stopped on this one https://990-pf.pdffiller.com/ Don’t know if it will suit everyone, but for Brave it’s optimized splendidly as well as costs way less than Acrobat subscription and feature performance is exactly the same

I have the PDF JS PDF Viewer extenstion 1.9.459 enabled and the latest version of Brave (see below) but whenever I click a PDF I just get the option to download. I haven’t been able to find anywhere to try and mess with (like somewhere listing extension registration/handling options) to change it.

This would be a big thing to get fixed. I’m keeping an eye for when I can start really recommending Brave to non-technical friends. Seamless PDF viewing would be a big step.

Brave: 0.23.77
V8: 6.8.275.24
rev: 0125b5f5ddc7eebc832ceeb4f4275230ec49d149
Muon: 8.0.6
OS Release: 17.6.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: macOS
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.84