Unexpected loss of all saved passwords and sync not working

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to brave://settings/braveSync/setup
  2. Open Console (F12)
  3. Error appears

Expected result:
No errors on console. Sync settings working. Passwords saved not lost.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.28.105 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I suddenly lost all saved passwords after restarting the computer, and was logged out of every website. Additionally, the Sync settings stopped working (any option I click is not saved, and it’s always showing this inconsistent state: (note there’s no option selected of the checkboxes)

If I select “Sync all” or activate every item individually, I and then refresh the settings page, it goes back to this error state.
Console also shows this error:

Looks like a plain old bug to me. Unfortunately this came out to production. Any way I can roll back to a previous version to restore my saved passwords? It’s annoying to have to log in manually on all sites. Thanks!

update: I found this new errors when switching between “sync everything” and “customize sync”

I just noticed that if I refresh the settings page, the reported “brave sync code” changes every time I refresh. Very unstable

@maraoz,
This is very strange.
Can you tell me how many devices are on the Sync chain? Further, are your passwords gone from all devices on the chain, or just one of them?

@Mattches I’ve got 3 devices on the sync chain, but only this (Windows) laptop is having issues. From the evidence in my last message, I think it must have “dropped out” of the sync chain somehow. I’m not able to even remove from the sync chain and add again, because any action I take on the settings page leads to an error in the console.

p.s: I’m a developer and I’m 99% sure this is a bug, in my opinion you should get the devs attention

@maraoz,
Can you please answer the question I asked previously?

Can you also send me a screenshot of your brave://sync-internals page on your Windows laptop?

I thought I had already answered your question there. To be explicit: no, my passwords aren’t gone from my other devices, only from the Windows laptop.

Here’s the screenshot you requested:

@Mattches any update on this?

@maraoz,
Apologies for the late reply here. We’re dealing with a separate Sync issue presently, but I have forwarded this thread/your information to our Sync team to review – should know more on this soon. I do appreciate your patience.

@maraoz , could you please launch the browser from cmd to see the vital errors log messages.

Do you see any error? Something like this?

ERROR:brave_sync_prefs.cc(114)] Decrypt sync seed failure

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.