Undesirable movement/shifts in sidebar bookmarks list display location

Description of Issue:

The current display location of the Bookmarks list in the browser sidebar should only move up/down as a result of user intervention with the slider control (IMO). However, in certain cases the browser automatically shifts the Bookmarks list upwards, disrupting the user’s situational awareness.

PRELIMINARY STEP:
Ensure that a large number of user bookmarks (and folders) are stored (e.g. several hundred) such that the sidebar slider must be used to navigate down several pages to reach the bottom of the list.

Steps to Reproduce (Variation #1):

1. Launch Brave browser.
  2. Display Bookmarks list in (left) sidebar.
  3. Expand several bookmark folders containing a large number of bookmarks (such that several pages of scrolling are required to reach the bottom of the bookmarks list).
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the Bookmarks list using the sidebar slider.
  5. “Right-click → Delete” a saved Bookmark at/near the bottom of the sidebar list.

Actual Result:
The sidebar Bookmarks list is automatically shifted upwards an arbitrary distance towards the top of the sort order.

Expected Result:
The display location of the sidebar bookmark list should remain at/near the bottom of the list where the deletion was performed.

Reproduces How Often:
Every time

NOTE: If the user wishes to delete multiple bookmarks from at/near the bottom of the sidebar list, they are forced to use the slider to get back to the bottom of the list after each and every deletion.

Steps to Reproduce (Variation #2):

1. Launch Brave browser.
  2. Display Bookmarks list in (left) sidebar.
  3. Expand several bookmark folders containing a large number of bookmarks (such that several pages of scrolling are needed to reach the bottom of the sidebar list).
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the Bookmarks list using the sidebar slider.
  5. Open a new Tab (by left-clicking the + sign next to rightmost open Tab at the top of the browser window).
  6. Left-click a bookmark at/near the bottom of the Sidebar list to open it in the new Tab.
  7. Once the selected web page is displayed in the new Tab, delete the Tab (by clicking the “X” to the right of the web page title).

Actual Result:
The Browser automatically shifts the display of the bookmark list back to the top.

Expected Result:
The display location in the sidebar bookmark list should NOT shift upwards. It should remain in the same location where the bookmark was selected.

Reproduces How Often:
Every time

Brave Version: 1.46.134, Chromium: 108.0.5359.94 (Official Build, x86_64)

1 Like

Hello there @Charlie5 could you please try opening your main profile in private or guest mode to see if the issue persist? If it doesn’t, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

You can open a Guest Window by going to Main menu --> Open Guest window:

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let me know if that works.
Regards.

Thank you for your suggestions Kevin_cc.

I’m sorry but as a novice Brave user I don’t understand what you mean by “open your main profile in private or guest mode.”

When I search for Brave “private mode” on the web, some users suggest adding the “–incognito” flag to the end of the Brave command string. But I’ve been unable to figure out where/how to do that on this Mac. I opened a Terminal window and tried “which brave-browser” and “which brave”, but the command finds no executable with those names. I’ll have to do some research on where the command invocation string for Brave is located under MacOS Catalina.

Also:

1. When I use “Open Guest Window” from the main menu, there are no stored bookmarks with which to experiment. I’m not sure how to import my existing bookmarks into a guest window. And I definitely do not look forward to re-entering several hundred bookmarks from scratch.

2. When I open “New Private Window” from the main menu, my saved bookmarks/folders are available but the undesirable behavior described in my issue report still occurs.

3. When I navigate to “Extensions” from the main menu, the page is totally blank. I have never (knowingly) installed any extensions.

1 Like

Hello again @Charlie5, could you please go to brave://flags/ and search for Vulkan?, try turning it on or off to see if the error no longer persist.

Let me know if that works.

Thank you again for your assistance Kevin_cc

I searched the flags and it says that Vulcan is not available for my platform.

1 Like

@Charlie5,
Looks like we can reproduce this and have opened an issue for the team to take a look at:

Appreciate your detailed report as it made filing the issue very straight forward.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for your prompt support. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

@Charlie5 thanks for your patience and understanding. If you have other concerns at the moment, please let me know.

Thank you, again, for all your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.