libchromiumcontent 62.0.3202.38
V8 6.2.414.23
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Beta
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 10.0.15063
OS Architecture x64

Windows 10 Creators Update

This has been occuring for me for weeks and weeks. Every time I try to update I see this -

The only way I have been able to update to this version is downloading completely new builds, and, at this point that is a nigh-impossible solution because of all the reconfiguration and resetup I have to do. I have looked at the log, but it is also nigh-impossible to understand what is going on.

Said log -

2017-11-20T14:57:55.469Z - checkForUpdates
2017-11-20T14:57:55.469Z - lastCheckMonth = 11
2017-11-20T14:57:55.469Z - lastCheckWOY = 321
2017-11-20T14:57:55.469Z - lastCheckYMD = 2017-11-20
2017-11-20T14:57:55.469Z - firstCheckMade = true
2017-11-20T14:57:55.469Z - https://brave-laptop-updates.global.ssl.fastly.net/1/releases/beta/0.19.58/winx64?daily=false&weekly=false&monthly=false&first=false&accept_preview=false
2017-11-20T14:57:58.411Z - Metadata: {“version”:“0.20.7”,“name”:“Brave 0.20.7”,“pub_date”:“2017-11-17T00:07:58.622Z”,“notes”:“More details: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/tag/v0.20.7\nbeta\n\nMore details: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/tag/v0.20.6\nbeta\n\nMore details: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/tag/v0.20.5\nbeta\n\nMore details: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/tag/v0.20.4\nbeta",“preview”:false,“braveURL”:"https://brave-download.global.ssl.fastly.net/multi-channel/releases/beta/0.20.7/winx64/”}
2017-11-20T14:58:04.425Z - Error: Command failed: 4294967295
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. —> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request, IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBitsResponseCallback(IAsyncResult result)
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Squirrel.Utility.d__37.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Squirrel.FileDownloader.d__2.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.DownloadReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<b__1>d.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass13_01.<<ForEachAsync>b__1>d.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.UpdateManager.DownloadReleasesImpl.<DownloadReleases>d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<DownloadReleases>d__8.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Download>d__7.MoveNext() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1.get_Result() at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args) at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args) at Squirrel.Update.Program.Main(String[] args) ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request, IAsyncResult result) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBitsResponseCallback(IAsyncResult result) --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__37.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.FileDownloader.<DownloadFile>d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.UpdateManager.DownloadReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<<DownloadReleases>b__1>d.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squirrel.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass13_01.<b__1>d.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.DownloadReleasesImpl.d__2.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.d__8.MoveNext()
at Squirrel.Update.Program.d__7.MoveNext()<—

I first starting seeing issues last September, and started trying to manual updates, which have gotten more and more destructive as I have applied them.

Any suggestions any one?

Hi @Samizdata,

You will need to enable environment variable in order to update to preview builds. You need to add BRAVE_ENABLE_PREVIEW_UPDATES=true as environment variable in order to update to the latest release.

Do let me know after adding the environment variable solves the issue.

Can I just use the option under Advanced > Content Settings?

I turned on the option under Advanced > Conternt Settings and it didn’t help the proble.

Hi @Samizdata,

Unfortunately the option under advance setting wouldn’t help. You will have to update manually. We now have different channels for each Release/Beta/Developer so it would not update. If you enable the environment variable then you would get preview builds for release channel. The version you are on would not update to Beta/Release. You will have to manually install the latest version which will be on the release channel.

Seriously? It used to work.

I only even went beta channel because there was functionality that wasn’t working in release. I am already having enough other weird issues, as well as having to set up everything all over again with the downloadable installer updates, that, unfortunately, this might be the end of my time with Brave…

Unfortunately reinstalling the release version is the only option now to get to the new updates as each channel is segregated and only release channels will receives auto update. Which specific functionality were you looking for in the beat build that was missing in the release channel.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.