Unable to tip BAT

Description of the issue:
I finally got BAT loaded into Brave via Uphold, and went to make a donation to wikipedia, but am getting a nondescript error “There was a problem processing your contribution”. Tried to tip brave.com and got the same error.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Click on BAT icon in location field.
  2. Click “Send a tip…”
  3. Click 10.0 BAT
  4. Click “Send my tip…”

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Send BAT to content producers.

Reproduces how often:
Every time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
macOS Catalina (10.15)
Brave 0.69.135 Chromium: 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I use Brave because the BAT strategy makes a ton of sense and is really exciting. But the process of uploading and donating funds needs to be seriously streamlined before widescale adoption. Namely:

1. It should be painless to add money to your BAT wallet. It’s definitely not.
  2. It should be easy to bring content producers into the ecosystem. In particular, if I try to send a content producer BAT who is not currently signed up to receive it, there should be an automated way of informing the content producer that someone tried to send them BAT. This seems like a critical part of the pipeline that, as far as I can tell, is entirely absent.
  3. Why are there issues with the core functionality of donating BAT in my wallet to content producers? This should be rock solid.
  4. I should be able to specify a custom amount in the tip window. I wanted to send more than 10.0 BAT but the default tip window doesn’t allow it.

Thanks for all the great work on this project. I really hope the BAT components get usable quickly. The browser itself rocks.

1 Like

@dae,
Thanks for reaching out. The error you’re seeing is a temporary one and is usually caused by server side issues, connection issues, or – sometimes – trying to tip over a VPN connection can sometimes throw this error. They may also be an extension installed interfering with the process.

1. How many times have you tried to tip these sites? How long has it been? Have you tried again?
  2. Are you connected to a VPN?
  3. What extensions (if any) do you have installed?

Also, thank you for your feedback on the Rewards system. Please remember that Brave Rewards was built from the ground up and is undergoing constant improvement. We appreciate your patience. Addressing the points you brought up:

1. Can you be more specific about what is so painful about adding funds to your wallet? As it is now, the easiest way is to simply click Add Funds in Rewards Settings or the Rewards panel in the address bar, login to Uphold, and add funds to the Brave browser Uphold card. Can I help explain or assist you in adding funds?
  2. If you try to send BAT to an unverified site/creator how should we inform them? For example, if I visit https://ign.com and attempt to tip them, when the processes concludes that this site is not verified, by what means do we contact them and ask them to consider doing so?
  • Do we crawl the site for an email address and send an automated message?
    • What if the crawler grabs the wrong email?
    • What if there is no appropriate email?
    • What if we do find the appropriate email and the message gets sent to spam and is never checked?
  • This also requires that we write and test the code that performs these actions – which would be another one of many large scale projects that our team of ~100 people (and even less Devs) has to handle.
  1. Earlier today, I was trying to stream content in Chrome to test against Brave’s behavior and the video constantly froze, then continued, then froze, continued – several times until I ultimately stopped the video. Testing in Firefox and Safari, the site seemed to work without issue. So the same bug was present in Chrome/ as well (likely related to the chromium backend).
    Software development is a constant and never ending process. There will always be bugs – some will effect every user, some will effect a subset of users, some will only concern specific edge cases. But like the Hydra, once you eliminate one, 2 more appear. I hope you can understand that Brave is still in development and hasn’t even reached official v1.0 yet. We hope to have many issues – ones like you’re reporting included – hammered out before we get there.
  2. While I don’t think we’ll have a custom tip amount you can enter (not entirely sure what the logic here is tbh, I’ve asked around internally just now to see if I can get some insight on that), we are adding additional amounts one can tip:
    https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/6262
    https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/6011

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I appreciate the thorough response! Re tipping, (1) I’ve only tried today, but multiple times over the last 18-ish hours, (2) not using a VPN. (3) I’ll cycle my extensions and try some more of the next couple of days and add an update if anything changes.

Totally aware that the rewards system is under active development and it’s a major reason I’m so excited about this project (and trying to give user-side feedback).

1. The Add Funds button is great. I (and friends of mine) have gotten caught up in Uphold’s platform, which I realize isn’t something that you have control over, but purely in terms of usability, it’s an impediment. For instance, there’s a minimum amount of money you can add and it took over a week for the money I tried to load to finishing processing. Maybe things like that are unavoidable, but if so it might be helpful to have the Add Funds button take you to an instructions page that holds your hand through the process (or at least give the option for that to first-time users). At the very least, you might watch a few non-cryptocurrency acquainted people try to add funds and see if they get stuck in similar places (maybe they have no issues).
  2. It seems like there are 2 use cases here. (a) The first is with sites that you’ve actively developed for, like github and twitter. I tried to tip myself on both to see what the content-developer experience was (prior to registering). In both cases, I didn’t receive any notification that someone had tried to send me BAT. It seems like in those cases, it would be easy to automate informing the associated accounts that people are trying to send them BAT, tell them a bit about the Brave/BAT project, and invite them to register. Since those developed-for sites are likely to take the lion’s share of BAT contributions it seems like there should definitely be an automated functionality to help bring new people into the ecosystem.
    (b) With random other sites, I agree it doesn’t make sense to crawl for info, but it’d be great to have something where, when I try to send the site BAT, maybe I get prompted to enter the content producer’s email address if I know it, or gave me some stock text that I could copy&paste into a blog’s comment (or something like that). Anyway to facilitate crowdsourcing it would be awesome (and way more tractable than trying to automate it for all the reasons you mention).

3 & 4. Thanks. Totally get it and would really love to see this project and the strategy behind it take off in a big way. If there are server-side issues like these, I wonder if there’s a way to make it more seamless for users, like an alert that says “hey, that transaction didn’t go through, these might be the reasons why, and we’ll keep trying to make it happen for the next x number of hours and let you know if it doesn’t work.” Or something other than failing behind the scenes (I had to reopen the BAT menu to discover that it didn’t go through).

1 Like

Update – I disabled all my extensions and have tried to tip wikipedia a few times per day over the last 4 days with the same error every time.

@dae,
Thank you for reaching out. Would you mind typing brave://rewards-internals into the address bar and sending me the information shown in a DM so I can take a look on my end?

1 Like

I am having the same problem… every time I try to tip, it seems like it went through but then I get a red circle with a 1 in it over the bat icon in the web address field and when I click it, it says “There was a problem processing your contribution.”

What’s the problem?

I do have the exact same problem. Fresh install, no extensions, connection with verified uphold wallet containing 50BAT.
Tried to tap 10BAT to Wikipedia several times today (trying 5 or 10BAT). Everytime the same issue “There was a problem processing your contribution.”.
BAT balance stays the same.

Would you please take a look into mine? I have had this exact problem for the past several days and have tried everything discussed here, but still can’t send tips.

Thank you all for reporting. Can I get a count on how many people are still encountering this issue?

I have the same issue. Latest brave version, recently verified website.