Unable to reset the Device List to resync a device

NOTE: Any “one-liner” or topics requesting support or reporting bugs that do not make an effort to include as much of this information as possible will not be responded to. Repeatedly posting as such is grounds for banning._
Please try to adhere to this template when reporting bugs. If you think you don’t need to fill out every section in the template fill out as much of it as you can and please be as descriptive as possible when posting.
<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->

Description of the issue:
Unable to reset the Device List so that I can resync my device to another computer

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Select Sync from Brave Settings from the New laptop (was initially used to sync other devices to, but devices were removed to use the iMAC as the main system for syncing additional devices)
  2. Select “Manage your synced devices”
  3. The Device list is displayed but there are no devices listed or associated with the New Laptop
  4. Select “Leave Sync Chain”
  5. Select “OK” from the confirmation modal
  6. Screen resets to the “Manage your synced devices” page
  7. Select the “Manage your synced devices” button
  8. The Device list is still there and there is no way for me to add this device to my other computer as the secondary device
  9. Clear/delete all bookmarks, extensions, browsing data from the beginning of time
  10. Uninstall Brave and reinstall brave
  11. Go back to the Sync page
  12. Device list is displayed instead of the Sync Setup Screen

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
After taking the steps above, I am not able to reset the Sync chain on the New laptop

Expected result:

1. Select Sync from Brave Settings from the New laptop that you want to be synced to the main computer
  2. Select “Manage your synced devices”
  3. The Device list is displayed but there are no devices listed or associated with the New Laptop
  4. Select “Leave Sync Chain”
  5. Select “OK” from the confirmation modal
  6. Screen resets to the “Manage your synced devices” page
  7. Select the “Manage your synced devices” button
  8. The “Sync Setup” screen should display for you to resync with your main computer

Reproduces how often:
100%
Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.44.112 Chromium: 106.0.5249.119 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
System/OS affected:
macOS Big Sur Version 11.7

Upon investigating this issue, I came across the following information:

https://davison.github.io/2020/12/18/brave-sync.html (which I’ve highlighted in my screenshot that I’m not familiar with where to find the JSON file to reset the sync chain)

Test going to brave://sync-internals and see what it says, it should not display anything everywhere like synching nothing, like username should be blank and not a long stuff with @brave.com and if you get something like that, you should be able to remove it by using Disable Sync button and see what happens.

At the button of screenshot 1, there should be the leave sync button, so if it is not there, maybe sync-internals can force it so you leave the chain.

If not, you can always check where the information is put in the preferences file or whatever and maybe reset it that way, the complicated but effective way.

Perfect, problem solved. You guys are the great support! Very responsive and helpful. Thank you.

Not a Brave team member, just happen to be someone who saw your post and thought I could help the information, since sync-internals is like the real thing but not many know about.

But you are welcome and I am glad it works now!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.