Unable to reconnect Brave Rewards to Uphold after disconnecting

That doesn’t make sense given that I was able to verify the wallet just a month before.

1 Like

Are you from Turkey? Posted about 10 days ago, Brave has found an issue and has suspended custodial account connections for users in Turkey.

Wallet Connections are Temporarily Blocked in Turkey

No, I am not from Turkey.

1 Like

Grasping at straws steps to take:

1. Disable Brave Rewards.
  2. Disable any extensions
  3. Clear history/cache
  4. Exit browser and reopen
  5. Enable Brave Rewards (make sure auto-contrib is still disabled)
  6. Try to connect to Uphold

Please post an update.

Before I do that, may I receive confirmation that all the BAT I have saved thus far won’t be lost?

They shouldn’t be… but stranger things have happened with Brave…

Use the following to backup your User Data folder. You can find the file path at brave://version. You can restore it if for some strange reason you need to restore. Also, I suggest backing up the entire Brave-Browser folder separately. I backup routinely at the end of the month and periodically during the month especially if I am “experimenting” with settings and flags.

Please note, you are not doing a pc reformat or Brave installation, so your BAT should be safe. This is just to provide you with general information and show you backup/restore instruction.

Source: can i create bats backup? - #4 by CerealLover

1 Like

Thank you. By disabling Brave Rewards, does that just mean disabling Brave Private Ads?

Yes, that is correct. :smiley:

1 Like

It didn’t work, unfortunately.

I am from the Philippines, which is included in the list of supported regions, albeit restricted to creator contributions only. However that was never an issue to me in the past.

Lame. I had connected before with no problems and I’m punished for following instructions?

So sorry. I just assumed you already knew about the Vietnam and Philippines ban since it has been in place since January. If you look at the supported countries listed on the Brave Transparency page, you will see an asterisk by the Philippines entry. This is the message entered for the asterisk:

• Earnings available for creator contributions only

So, to recap, users from the Philippines will not be able to connect to a custodial provider but ads and earnings will still be available. You can hold earned BAT in your Rewards wallet or you can tip creators.

Just make sure you keep a backup of your Rewards, preferably on an external device, just in case something happens and you need to restore you BAT.

Is there nothing I can do? I verified the wallet just last month and it connected fine. I even received my BAT payout yesterday.

Not that I am aware of. Sorry. :slightly_frowning_face:

A few other users have also reported this. I do not know why you were able to connect and get a BAT deposit. If I had to guess, I think it may be a temporary regression, or even a new issue, due to all the payout issues and fixes lately over the last couple months. I’m pretty sure if it is a regression, or a new issue, it will be addressed and users will no longer be able to connect to a custodian account provider. Sorry.

An incredibly disappointing turn of events, then.

1 Like

I’m from the Philippines as well and I had been wondering why my Gemini wallet was disconnected sometime around February and I haven’t been able to reconnect since then.

It’s disappointing and frustrating to finally find out why this happened. The “transparency page” is not exactly transparent about the reason why it says “Earnings available for creator contributions only”.

I’m getting all these ads, Brave is getting paid for it. But I’m getting “rewards” that I can’t really use for anything besides spending it on “Tips”. If this is going to be the case for all eternity then I’m done with Brave Rewards.

Necesito ayuda porque sincronizo mi billetera de uphold y lastimosamente una de las pcs donde lo tenia dejo de funcionar y ahora no me puedo volver a reconectar quien me puede ayudar para que lo pueda hacer nuevamente

I would hope they would bring it back to the PH eventually.

I agree, I would be totally frustrated too! I hate that helpless feeling you get when you can’t do a darn thing to change something that is unfair to good people just because of some bad actors.

Agreed again! I think Brave should explain this better. It is confusing. I don’t know why they don’t put a more on point reference.

Brave does have plans to implement other uses for BAT, but right now it looks like everything is geared towards transferring Rewards to a centralized exchange first. Maybe that will change and they will put in other uses for Rewards besides tipping. Who knows. I hope so. This would be more equitable for users who are banned through no fault of their own.

Brave Article: https://brave.com/state-of-the-bat/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.