Unable to open web pages or any menu options

Hello. Having issues with Brave Browser on Ubuntu Mate 22.04.1 LTS. The browser opens okay but all web pages and menu items including settings fail to load and report page unresponsive.

Multiple updates since issue started have failed to resolve the problem.

Version stable main amd64 1.46.140

I have tried removing the browser and deleting .config folder then reinstalling.

sudo apt purge brave-browser
rm -rf ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Does the same happen in a private window?

Yes, exactly the same issue with private and private with Tor.

Could you try in a new profile ?

Tried new profile and guest profile. I think then it kept trying to open in a new profile so wasn’t even getting as far as the browser window so have deleted the config folder to force a reset. Chromium works fine.

Hello @dougie

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Brave. Could you kindly try clearing the cookies and cache in brave://settings/clearBrowserData

Let me know if that works!

Page unresponsive. It’s the same for all menu items: settings, about, extensions, rewards. A new tab starts loading but it doesn’t progress.

@Mattches do look into this. Thanks.

Are you also getting this error:

[230497:230497:1213/214215.390581:ERROR:sharing_service.cc(222)] Device registration failed with fatal error

Device registration failed with fatal error after update

@dougie,
Can you try opening the dev tools console window (Menu --> More tools —> Dev tools --> Console tab) and then navigating to some of the unresponsive settings pages and/or webpages and sharing the console output (if any) here?

@Mattches - nothing opens, not even settings or any brave:// pages

You mean there is no console output appearing at all?

@Mattches It doesn’t open. Page is still unresponsive and no console output

@rkt Where are you seeing this error? In the terminal when installing? I haven’t see that.

@dougie - Yes, Since no pages, and no config (Settings/preferences) were opening, I tried starting the browser with --verbose flag from a terminal.

Nothing works, but, at least I am seeing some errors.

This is the output I get when opening from a terminal

[16534:16551:1215/102228.080958:ERROR:nss_util.cc(349)] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
mesa: for the --simplifycfg-sink-common option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --global-isel-abort option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --amdgpu-atomic-optimizations option: may only occur zero or one times!

@dougie - I was getting a similar error, but, after reinstalling Brave, getting this error:

mesa: for the --simplifycfg-sink-common option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --global-isel-abort option: may only occur zero or one times!
mesa: for the --amdgpu-atomic-optimizations option: may only occur zero or one times!
[364966:364966:1215/163100.928105:ERROR:sharing_service.cc(222)] Device registration failed with fatal error

@dougie - is it resolved for you, yet?

No. Is yours? Will switch to beta channel installation and see if that provides a fix.

It doesn’t seem a common issue and we’re also getting different errors. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed for a working version at some point.

@dougie - not resolved for me, yet. I used Beta, and Alpha, same error. We are both having AMD GPU’s :sweat_smile:

If nothing else, that’s a common link here.