Unable to add a custom search engine on iOS

Hi guys,
I’ve been trying to add a custom search engine (you.com) to Brave (latest version iOS) and every time I finish and press ‘add’ the browser crashes without fail.

Any tips on how I can stop this from happening?

@UltraViolet ,

So, you are using the following character string:

https://you.com/search?q=%s

as instructed (in Brave Browser iOS > Settings > . . . ) to “Add Custom Search Engine”

But that effort fails.

Correct?

As the post said, it is crashing, then it might be a bug to make the browser crash.

Inputing inaccuracte search query to add a custom search engine should not make ‘any’ browser crash.

I also read that on iOS safari has made it so that only the deafult 5-6 search engines can be used.
So, is it repliacted in brave due to webkit and thus making the browser crash.

yes, that is correct

@UltraViolet ,

I was expecting a crash . . . but, the You Search Engine was added without incident, in Brave Browser iOS (iPhone). I entered:

https://you.com/search?q=%s (in the URL field)

and I entered:

“You” (in the only other available field - fieldname: “TITLE”)

Other info:

Brave Browser iOS > Settings > . . . > Private Browsing Only: ENABLED

Brave Browser iOS > Settings > . . . > Block Popups: ENABLED

Brave Browser iOS > Settings > . . . > CLEAR PRIVATE DATA: ALL settings are ENABLED, and I routinely clear the data.

Not using VPN.

Prior to all this testing, I did not visit the You Search Engine via the iPhone; and I have yet to do so.

I did visit the You Search Engine by way of Brave Browser for Mac OS . . . and I tested the addition of the You Search Engine in that browser – again, with no incident.

Finally, I removed the You Search Engine from Brave Browser iOS, without incident.

So . . . I am not helping you, so far.

Except, I did attach the iPhone to the Mac computer, and used the Console.app window, to monitor the iPhone during the You Search Engine addition on Brave Browser iOS.

Yet, I have not found some indications in all the records, of the addition.

Strange that adding the ‘.com’ at the end of the title crashes the browser

worked though, thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.