Twitter sidebarColumn blocking stopped working

After a recent restart, a Twitter element I had previously successfully blocked via Block Element has started reappearing. I’m unsure if a Twitter change, a Brave regression, or some combo is to blame.

Using the [right-click]->Brave->‘Manage custom filters’ option – which I don’t recall existing a while ago? – I can see the relevant rule at brave://adblock/ under ‘Custom Filters’:

twitter.com##div[data-testid="sidebarColumn"]

And, if I inspect the page, the element is still uniquely identified via a data-testid="sidebarColumn" DIV attribute.

Anything that could have broken CSS-rule blockers recently?

The area where the rule is viewable includes a comment, “! Filters migrated from ‘Right click > Brave > Block element via selector’”, & I can’t remember being able to review items that had been blocked via that menu before. But I also remember such rules working!

Any ideas to restore the broken functionality?

I just tested the rule in Release, Beta, and Nightly. works in all 3 here @gojomo Does Aggressive mode help?

I’m in Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (x86_64) on MacOS

What’s ‘aggressive mode’?

Today in repeated probes, I’m noticing it sometimes working, and sometimes not - almost as if some thread devoted to this task is sometimes dead, but occasionally restarted & working for a while.

Given a similar report last year that was fixed by a re-install – Block element via selector has stopped working – I may try that, but unsure if that’ll lose my open window/tab state.

1. Click on the Brave Shields icon in the address bar.
  2. If you’re using the default Brave Shields settings, the first option should be Trackers & ads blocked (standard).
  3. Change the option to Trackers & ads blocked (aggressive).

Thanks! Alas, toggling ‘aggressive’ on hasn’t reliably restored the prior functionality.

Oddly, I’m not seeing the data-testid="sidebarColumn" element on all Twitter pages - almost as if some element-removal process is sometimes working, and sometimes erroring before success.